2

Jack's pov
I don't know if I could trust this guy but he seems okay so far. He did help me bury Signe but he could just be playing me. Making me believe he's friendly and get me to gather supplies with him then kill me and take everything. I'll play it safe and maybe leave him later.

"Shh, dead ahead," Mark whispered, crouching down low and pulling out a gun.

"Don't shoot. The sound attracts them," I whispered.

"I know. I'm going to hit them with it," He said, looking at me as if I was stupid.

"Why? You have an axe," I pointed out. He looked at the weapon sticking out of his bag with relisation.

"Oh yeah," he giggled quietly and it sounded... nice. But don't let that fool you Jack. You can't trust him.

"Why don't we just sneak around them. If we get seen then we kill them, if not then we don't have to risk being bitten," I said quietly, scouting out the area. "There." I pointed at a line of cars that would be perfect cover from the dead. Mark followed my finger and nodded.

"Good idea," He whispered and snuck ahead. I waited until he was covered before following. I made it without being seen and ducked down low. We quietly crept down the road, staying close to the vehical's.

We were halfway down the road when a hand grabbed me from under a car. I looked down to see one of the dead trapped under a wheel of the car. It was trying to scratch and bite at my legs.

I tried to pull away and ended up stumbling and falling backwards. I managed to catch the attention of several nearby dead. They started staggering our way and I began to panic. I kicked and pulled at my feet, trying to break free.

"Jack!" Mark called out. He was a few cars ahead of me and began running back. I looked up to see a turned falling to my head. I put my hands out and caught it. It snapped at my face as I tried to push it away. I had to keep kicking to prevent the other dead person from biting my ankles.

"Hold on Jack," Mark yelled as he swung his axe at the creature on my legs. It fell limp but I still had to hold off the one snapping at my neck. It was suddenly pulled from my arms and I didn't have to struggle anymore.

Mark flung it to the ground and swung his axe at its head. He pulled the axe free and held his hand out for me to take. I hesitantly took it and he helped me to my feet. I quickly glanced around and saw all the dead creeping towards us.

"We need to get out of here. This way!" Mark yelled, racing down the street. I followed, quickly catching up since I had a smaller build but didn't run past him. He had the axe that he used to clear our way of any dead got in front of us.

I pulled out my dagger and stayed close behind Mark. We made it to the far end of town with only a few struggles and hurried into the treeline. It began to grow dark the deeper we went and soon I couldn't see anything. I tripped again and landed hard.

Pain spread up my arm and I held back a scream. I tried to get back up but my wrist hurt too much and I fell back down again. I most likely broke it from how hard I fell but I can't see anything so I don't know.

"Mark!" I called out. I didn't get a response. I knew he would leave me. It was a matter of time. I pushed myself up with my other hand and staggered to my feet. I held onto a tree and tried to feel my way through the trees. My eyes slowly adjusted and I could see a few feet around me.

I continued to wander through the tree, holding onto my wrist and avoiding low hanging branches. I tripped a few more times and hurt my wrist more but I kept going. I had to keep going. For Signe. I couldn't give up.

I heard a branch snap near me and spun around. A dark figure crept towards me, chokes and gargleing emitting from it. I tried to pull out my dagger but realised I must have dropped it when I fell.

"Shit!" I growled, pulling out my pistol instead. Once I've fired I need to leave as fast as possible. I raised it to the creature, took a deep breath an fired. As soon as the body hit the ground I turned and tried to run away. I stumbled several times and ran into trees and branches but didn't stop.

I dared to glance behind me to see if anything was following me but when I turned around again something grabbed me. I ran into something and fell back. If it weren't for the hands grabbing my wrist I would have hit the ground.

"Jack calm down. It's just me," Mark's voice said when I tried to struggle. He grabbed my other wrist and I let out a scream. "Shit, sorry. I didn't realise you'd hurt it."

"It's... it's fine. Let's just get out of here," I said through gritted teeth, grabbing at my wrist in pain.

"Yeah... I know the way out. It's just up ahead," He said, slowly walking forward. Slow enough that I'll be able to keep up but fast enough that we'd get out before something grabbed us.

"What happened anyway? How did you hurt your hand?" Mark asked quietly.

"I tripped. I called out to you but you were already gone. How could you not have notice I wasn't following you anymore?" I asked bitterly. I don't know why I was mad really, it wasn't entirely his fault. It is really dark and hard to see.

"I'm not wearing my glasses. And it is way too dark to see anything. Sorry," Mark said calmly, despite my bitterness.

"It's fine. I'm just glad you came back or I would have been lost in there," I said quietly.

"No problem."