19

This one is a little longer but it's gonna mess yo shit up. Just a forewarning.

Jack's pov
"RUN!!"

Growls carried out all around me, mixing with the sound of gunfire and screams. I ran down the dimly lit hall, holding tightly onto the bag that was slung over both my shoulders. I couldn't afford to drop it or loose it. Everything inside was valuable and needed.

"Dead to the left. Five!" A voice called out. I glanced to the side to see a small group of flesh eating creatures stumbling towards our direction, too slow to actually reach us as we zoomed past. Only one had come close enough to reach out to me but I quickly swung my sword and cut off its head.

"The exit should be just ahead. Phil is already outside if we make it out!" Dan's voice came from next to me.

"They're blocking the exit! I'm out of bullets!" Felix called, sounding further behind. I glanced back to see him catching up. He must have stopped or something. Or he'd had a slower start than we did.

"I'll clear the way!" I shouted. I ran faster and rose my sword. As I neared the rotten flesh monsters ahead of me I swung, keeping my balance as I charged straight through the middle of the group, my arm burning slightly.

I stumbled near the end though and my sword got stuck in one of the zombies heads, pulling them along with me. I spun to try and pull it free and saw Dan shooting a few other zombies near me, including the one my sword was in.

I felt a vibration travel up my sword as the bullet hit the blade and I was able to pull it free. I didn't have time to check if my weapon was damaged before I had to turn and run again. The train of zombies that were following us was enough to fill three classrooms.

"GET IN!" Phil shouted as he pulled up right in front of us. I jumped into the back of the truck in the trailer, Dan and Felix following my lead as Phil sped off. I lay down and tried to catch my breath as Felix climbed through the still broken window in the back to help direct Phil back to the base. The rest of the windows had been replaced though.

"That was dangerous but awesome," Dan said out of breath. I chuckled but frowned upon seeing the dent and hole at the end of my sword. Dan sat up and saw the damage and his face dropped.

"Sorry about that. I didn't see you stuck until it was too late. But here." He leant into the window and pulled out the duffle bag he had retrieved from their truck. He opened the bag and searched through before pulling out two long swords in their sheath. My eyes widened as he held them out to me.

"They're super sharp and won't get stuck. I know they aren't no three-quarter sword and it would take some time getting used to but it's better than nothing. Take them," He offered.

I carefully took the long swords and pulled them out of their polished leather casings. I weighed them in my hands and felt their perfect balance. I smiled as I remembered my first weapons I'd used when all this went down.

"You know, I had a pair of these at the very beginning of this all," I said as I amazed at the look of the shining blades. 

"Really? What happened to them?" Dan asked surprised.

"Some thieves came along. But you can keep the swords. I won't need them," I said, handing them back to him. 

"You sure?" he asked. I nodded and he shrugged, climbing into the cabin of the truck with the others. I stayed out the back, enjoying the cool breeze and peaceful quiet. I looked down at my arm and the bandage wrapped under my jumper through the holes.

I pulled up the sleeve and tugged the bandage down a little, seeing the red inflamed wounds. There was no way I was immune and I was deffinately going to turn but hopefully I can get back to Mark before I do. I don't know how long I have but I at least want to be with him before I die.

~time skip to home and Markimoo~

I felt sick and dizzy as we walked towards the supply room. Russ had to help hold me up as we walked, his arm supporting my waist as mine hung over his shoulder. He already knew I was infected and remained silent next to me.

I was able to focus as Mark ran straight into my arms and hugged me, making Russ and I stumble back. I let go of Russ and hugged Mark back, squeezing tightly with my good arm as the other hung limp at my waist, the pain making it numb.

Mark pulled away and looked me over with fear and concern, his eyes falling against my arm. His breath hitched and he looked back up at me, his face asking everything he couldn't say. I shook my head, telling him it was real. Telling him I wouldn't make it.

"No. You're fine. You just scratched it on something. You're fine. You're gonna be fine," Mark said in denial. It only made tears fall down my face as guilt filled my emotions. If I'd been more careful I wouldn't have gotten infected and Mark wouldn't be worrying right now.

"I'm not okay Mark. I messed up," I whispered out harshly. He pulled me into his arms and held me tightly.

"It's just a scratch. You'll be okay. I know you will," he said, still in denial. I pulled away but the instant he was out of reach I lost balance and weakly fell to the ground. He picked me up and carried me inside Russ' house to get away from watching eyes.

"Why did you do this to me? You should have been more careful," he said, sounding heartbroken and angry. My gaze fell to the floor.

"I'm sorry," I whispered out. He pulled away and stared into my eyes.

"No, I'm sorry. I'm taking my own anger out on you. You were just trying to help and you did. You got the medical supplies Tyler and Cry needed. You just made a sacrifice at the same time," Mark said sadly, each word shaky and broken. I smiled weakly and pulled him in for a quick kiss.

He had his eyes closed when I pulled away and tears were streaming down his face. I wiped them away with a weak hand and his eyes fluttered open. He scanned over my face before his gaze returned to my eyes. I did the same, wanting his face to be the last thing I see and remember when I'm gone.

"Don't leave me please. I don't want you to become one of them," Mark choked out.

"I don't want to be one of them either. You can't let me turn," I said, pressing my hand gun into his hands. He looked down at the gun before his eyes shot back up, wide with fear and horror.

"No! I'm not going to do that. There's gotta be another way," He begged.

"Either you do it or I will. There's no saving me," I cried out, tears running down my face.

"There has to be another way. I can't just give up on you this easily," Mark begged.

"There's nothing else to do Mark! If you don't shoot me I'll become one of those horrible flesh eating monsters and it will be harder to get rid of me! Please, I want you to remember me as me and not one of them," my voice lowered near the end but shook with every word.

"Okay... I'll do it," Mark said, taking the gun.

"Thank you," I said. His lip twitched into a slight smile and he leant forward, smashing our lips together in a passionate kiss. I slowly pulled away and leant my head against his.

"I'm going to miss you," he whispered.

"I'll miss you too. But don't mourn on me okay. Survive and keep everyone safe. Don't feel bad if you can't," I advised. He nodded and stood up, taking a step back.

"I will. I love you Jack," he said as fresh tears ran down his face. I saw Russ leave the room in the corner of my eye but never took my attention away from Mark.

"I love you too Mark. With all my heart." That was the last thing I said before a gunshot rang out, Mark's tear stained face being the last image I saw before eternal darkness.

I'm writing this and I'm crying. Holy fuck!