6

Mark's pov
Jack hasn't spoken to anyone after the incident with his parents. I trusted him enough to give him some more weapons since he seemed the best at fighting and protecting us. We decided to go north since winter was starting to kick in and it was getting colder each day.

"There's a shopping mall up ahead. We might be able to sneak in and get some supplies if any are left. We can also get some cover from this fog and the cold," Minx said ahead of us.

"How do you know one's up ahead. I can't see shit," I asked from the back of the group.

"Because this is where I used to live. I made a run for the save base with Krism when it seemed like a lost cause to stay here," Minx answered. I nodded even though she wasn't looking at me. We made our way towards the shop and I noticed the from door was smashed open.

"Why don't we go in the front? It's wide open," I pointed out.

"Shit, someone must have been here already then. It wasn't open when we were here a few weeks ago so someone must have broken in," Minx cursed.

"Does the mall have a chemist?" Jack finally spoke up.

"Ahh, yeah. Why?" Minx asked.

"It might have been some people I know. Two guys and a girl. They helped me and... The girl was injured and might have needed medicine. My guess is that they had to make a quick escape. See how there's dead bodies on the ground. They must have left the girl on top of that hill," Jack said, pointing to the hill he was referring to.

"Maybe. But keep your guard up just incase," Minx said.

"Of coarse," Krism said quietly. We all nodded and made our way inside. Bodies lay across the floor, mostly down the centre of the halls. They looked less than a week old through all the rotting flesh and blood. Maybe those people Jack talked about were here not too long ago.

"Dead ahead," Krism whispered. We quietly crept around them and continued to where the food store.

"Alright. Grab what you need and nothing that will hold us back if we need to make an escape," Minx said sternly. It seemed as if she had become the leader of the group and I was okay with that.

"I think we know what we need to do. We aren't idiots," Jack spat. Of coarse he had to speak up now.

"Says the one that screamed at the top of his head and attracted a hole lot of dead towards us. Twice," Minx shot back. Before I knew it; Minx was pinned against a wall as Jack held a knife to her neck.

"You don't know what I've been through and last I checked I saved your lives afterwards. Meaning you can't hold shit on me. So I suggest you shut your mouth and watch what you say," Jack said darkly. Minx was scared out of her mind and it looked like Krism was about to cry. I needed to do something before this escalates any further.

"Jack put her down. We don't want to cause trouble and this is asking for it," I said as calmly as I could.

"Sure. But if she tries to talk shit to me again I'm gonna put a knife in her throat," Jack growled, dropping Minx and storming off. Minx took in deep breaths of air and Krism ran to her side.

"Take a quick break to recover. I'm gonna go talk to him okay," I said before running over to Jack. He was in the children's aisle, looking at a teddy bear that was completely blue with a white face.

"What the fuck was that about?" I asked, hoping it didn't sound too harsh.

"What the fuck was that? There's a line you don't cross and she leapt right over that line. She does not know how horrible I feel right now. She didn't have to watch her love die. No, she has hers right now with her. She didn't cross half the fucking continent to get to her lover just to come back and find that everyone she knew was dead...." He fell silent as he looked away, tears rolling down his face. I took a step forward but he began walking backwards a few steps.

"N-no. You should just leave me. I just mess everything up. I got everyone who ever cared for me killed..." I took another step forward as his steps got smaller and smaller.

"Stop. Just stop! You need to go. Just leave me alone. I shouldn't even be near you. I'll just get you killed too." I took a few more steps as he continued to beg me to leave. He was getting closer to the back wall of the store and I was getting closer to him.

"Mark please. I-... I don't want you to die... you're too nice to die." He hit the back wall as I reached him; me standing so close to him our chests touched as he breathed heavily.

"Mark," Jack whispered harshly. I reached my hand up and wiped away his tears, making him cry more.

"Jack. Don't even think those things. You tried your best to keep everyone alive. You thought your parents would be safe at that base. You tried to get Signe there too. I know you tried all you could and you're angry at yourself because of it. But taking your anger out at others isn't going to work okay. Trust me," I said calmly. He looked up at me with teary eyes.

"Mark I... I'm sorry. I'm such a jerk," He sobbed out.

"No you aren't. You just need some help getting back on track again okay. I'm here to help you," I continued calmly. Jack let out another sob as he buried his face into my chest and tightly wrapped his arms around my torso.

I hugged him tighter as we slowly sank to the floor. I sat there comforting him as he let out all his emotions and pain. I sat there telling him nice things and telling him about all the good things I'd done before the world died.

That's lovely. But Jack better get his act together or imma gonna slap him.