11

First off. I'm gonna swap 10 and this chapter around so don't get confused later. Just so you know guys.

Jack's pov
Immune? How can someone be immune to something everyone is infected by? It's impossible. But... it's not. He's still breathing. He doesn't have a fever. He doesn't look like he's changing. He is immune.

I wouldn't say completely unaffected though. He has gone a little loopy in the head and says he can hear and see things differently. Apparently it wares off but until it does he'll be completely out of it so Red made him stay inside. I haven't seen him since we got here but I've been told what's been going on. That's how I know he's immune.

"What are you thinkin about Jack?" Mark asked as walked up to me. I was sitting with one leg out of the open window on the top floor, looking out over the walled in base.

"I don't know how he's immune," I said monotonously. A gentle hand on my shoulder made me turn around, getting caught up in the void of chocolate brown.

"Neither do I but he is. No one can explain it they can just accept it," he said in a soft, soothing tone. I smiled at him weakly before nodding and returning my gaze to the houses cast in the morning lighting.

"I wonder what he thought about. When he was first bitten. Did he know he wasn't going to turn?" I thought out loud.

"Nobody can predict something like that. And only Felix would know that. He can choose if he want to tell someone and I can guarantee that at least Cry knows. Those two are inseparable," Mark said and he began to mess with my long faded green hair.

"We should do our hair again. Just for the hell of it," I said, leaning into his touch.

"Yeah, but how? We don't know how to and don't have the products for it," Mark pointed out but I smiled.

"Krism know how and I saw an old hair palour a short distance out from the base. We can ask Russ to take a look when he goes out or go ourselves," I said with a smile. For some reason I felt excitement just thinking of getting our hair dyed again. I'd only met Mark when his hair was faded and wanted to see how he looked with vibrant colours.

"Well I wanted to go for a search this afternoon if you're willing to come. We can check it out then if you want," Mark offered. I smiled widely and returned my gaze to him once again, the red and orange lighting casting warm colours across his face. I leant up and kissed him softly.

"I would love that. But I need to go and check if Krism is willing to do it first and what we would need to actually do it if possible," I said. He nodded and returned a kiss.

"That's okay. I'm going after midday so you have plenty of time to ask," he said, his voice calm as he walked towards the door.

"Where are you going?" I asked, not wanting him to leave.

"To talk to Scott. I need to tell him you're coming with me when I leave so I don't have to be stuck with one of the others. I'd rather spend time with you," He said, a slight smirk mixing with his smile. I blushed and nodded, unable to respond as he left the room.

I looked back at the street and watched him leave. I let out a calming sigh and closed my eyes, taking in the comforting silence and fresh air. It was peaceful here once the wall had been fixed. People are still fixing houses and other things that were broken but the wall was the first thing done. We didn't want anything getting in.

"You look relaxed," a sweet voice called put. I opened my eyes and looked down to see Krism standing outside the house. I smiled and nodded to her.

"Yeah, it's nice and quiet here. No need to worry as much," I called out.

"Well, you still need to be cautious," she pointed out.

"Yeah, but not as much. Why don't you come in. I'll meet you downstairs," I said, getting off the windowsill when she nodded. I made my way downstairs just as she was closing the front door.

"Lovely little house you have here. Away from the noise of neighbors," she said, giving me a suspicious look. I felt my face heat up and looked away.

"No, we do not do that. I just liked this house," I said as she giggled.

"I was joking. Mark said you wanted to talk to me about something. If you're wondering, I passed him outside and he said to come see you," Krism said with a smile.

"I was wondering thank you. And you used to be a hair dresser right?" I asked.

"Yeah why?" She responded, a curious glint in her eyes.

"Me and Mark want to get our hair re done but have no idea how to do it ourselves. The faded colours don't look very nice anyway. I was wondering if you could do it for us," I said politely. She thought about it for a second

"I haven't done it in a while but I think I remember how to do it. If you can get all the right things for it that is. Some of it might not be usable though," she said in thought.

"It's fine if it isn't. Can you write a list of what we need though?" I asked. She smiled and nodded. She quickly wrote down all we needed and put stars next to things that might not be there. I thanked her and we began sharing random conversations on things until Mark came back. We said our farewells before heading towards the front gate, leaving Krism to return home.

"You know what we need?" Mark asked as we approached the armory. Most of our weapons were kept here but everyone was given a knife and a hand gun in case something went wrong. I wasn't sure if I trusted everyone but nothing has gone wrong so far.

"Yeah. I got a list of it all," I said with a hum.

"That's good. You're very forgetful otherwise," He said with a smirk. I slapped him playfully and we continued to joke about different things for the rest of the day.