16

Jack's pov
I woke up with a cold space next to me. I sat up and noticed Mark wasn't next to me and figured he'd be downstairs. I slowly got up and made my way to the kitchen but he wasn't there. Where is he?

I heard a knock at the door and shuffled over to answer it, my body still not fully awake yet. I opened the door and was surprised to see Felix standing in front of me. I was shocked he had left Cry's side to begin with.

"Hey Felix. What brings you here?" I asked, rubbing the sleep from my eyes.

"Have you seen Mark?" He asked, ignoring my question.

"Ah, not since last night why?" I answered, suddenly feeling awake.

"Some supplies went missing and Russ said Mark had visited earlier to get something. We think he might have taken them but we're not sure. I came to ask him but clearly he isn't here," Felix explained. I thought everything over for a second before gasping.

"He must have taken it to those people we turned down," I exclaimed.

"What people?" Felix asked confused.

"Me and Snake came across the three remaining members of the bandits you guys talked about. They asked for supplies but we sent them away. It's why we were late back because we had to make sure they weren't following us. I wanted to go back and give them something if it was alright with Scott. He must have gone before I woke up," I said, slightly angered by his actions but worried for his safety.

"Well, Scott hasn't seen us about it yet. Maybe he did give him permission. Come on, let's go see," Felix said, motioning for me to follow.

"Hang on, I need to get changed quickly. I only just woke up," I said, quickly running upstairs and getting changed. I ran back down and slipped my shoes on before running out of the house with Felix just in front of me.

We reached Scott and Snake's house and knocked loudly. Scott answered wearing a loose t-shirt and sweat pants. He had a knowing look on his face that told us he knew exactly why we had come to talk to him.

"Yes I gave Mark permission but he should have been back by now. I told him if he wasn't then I would assume the worst and tell you Jack. He's been gone for hours now and should have been back hours ago," Scott said, taking a sip from a cup in his hand. I was confused by his decision of speech until the smell of alcohol reached my nose.

"How many of those have you had?" I asked concerned. Scott was meant to be watching over the base. If he was drunk then he couldn't make good decisions.

"It's just a bottle of wine. It was a deal I'd made with Cry before he went gallavanting off and brought Mr. Blondey here back. Maybe he shouldn't have, wouldn't be in the situation he's in now," Scott said with a hiccup.

"What was that?" Felix growled.

"Cry wouldn't have been so careless and ran around with a girly idiot like you if you weren't around. He wouldn't have been captured again and put into a coma. He wouldn't be on the verge of death if you hadn't come along and made him care about you," Scott said angrily. Felix's face twisted with rage.

"You can't put any of this on me. I can't help what happened to him or what might happen to him but at least I'm actually trying to help him, not just staying inside and drinking like an idiot!" Felix yelled before ripping the glass out of Scott's hand and smashing it on the ground. Scott lunged at Felix but the alcohol made his actions clumsy and Felix was able to block him and push him inside, making him fall to the floor.

"At least I haven't lost all hope in him staying alive like you did," Felix spat in a low voice before storming off. I hesitated before turning around and running after him, matching his fast pace.

"What did he mean Cry might die?" I asked quietly. Felix was silent for a while, just staring ahead as he continued to walk at a fast pace.

"Exactly that. He's too weak to recover fast enough to stay alive. He lost too much blood and doesn't have enough to support himself. We need to be able to give him a drip or he's going to die and we can't do that. We've searched everywhere in this town and there isn't any around. The last one had been used for me when I got bit," Felix said, his tone full of pain and sorrow.

"What about the next town over?" I asked.

"All the best people are either injured, caring for others, drunk or missing. I'm the only one free that knows what to do without getting myself killed," He said.

"What about me?" I asked. He looked st me and frowned.

"You freaked out when the car was being over run. What if we were face to face with that herd? I know you can handle other people but I don't know about zombies," he said, shaking his head.

"Yeah, keep believing that," I said with a small smile.

"I will, you were acting like a little girl cuddled up against your prince charming in the car," Felix said with a snigger. I scoffed and glared at him.

"You have your moments too princess. I'm not the only girly one here," I smirked. He chuckled and shook his head.

"So, what makes you think you'd be able to stand the horrible world with a chance of it all being for nothing?" Felix asked dramatically. My smirk widened and I looked up st Felix.

"Let me tell you a story."

About the time you beat the shit out of some mother fuckerz.