THE FIRST WAVE

When the first wave hit Lola was at lunch. She was seated at the head of the table surrounded by the rest of her cheerleading team. They had a big game that afternoon and it was a tradition that the cheerleaders wore their uniforms to school and sat together at lunch. Lola and her best friend Britney were deliberating where to head after the game, when suddenly the lights shut off. Numerous screams of frights and gasps filled the room. The cafeteria was incredibly large, with big powerful lights illuminating it. For them to turn off, left them in pitch black darkness.
Everyone in the room looked to others, hoping they had some sort of idea towards what was going on. But everyone was met with the same face, filled with confusion and worry. There was a mix of murmurs, and kids moving about to talk to their friends.

Lola stood on her chair to look for her older sister, she turned around about 3 times before she got a glimpse of Jamie, doing the same thing as her. Jamie was clinging to her boyfriend Sean, who was talking to one of his friends. Before Lola got a chance to yell her name there was a deafening screech coming from the field. The kid's closest to the window surrounded it, hoping to get a better look as to what was happening.

From what Lola could see from her spot atop of her chair, lamp posts were falling on top of cars, and the fence that surrounded their football field was twisting and tangling. The talking in the room became louder, panic speeding faster.

Then the unexpected happened, the bleachers flew off of the field and started flying towards the school. Kids screamed and backed away from the window, but they didn't need to worry as the bleachers flew right over the school. The wind carried it far from them. Lola jumped down from her spot and gripped Brittany's arm.

"Britt, I'm going to get Jamie, I'll see you later ok?" Brittany nodded, her eyes bulging after witnessing the large structure almost hitting their school. "Yeah, ok. I'll see you". They embraced quickly before running off in opposite directions.

Neither of them knew it, but that would be the last time they ever speak to each other.

Lola round Jamie still clinging to Sean. Lola had never liked Sean. Jamie met him at a party in which they were both drunk beyond belief, and Jamie for some reason had agreed to go out on a date. Lola never really understood how they could ever like each other, Jamie was a very prissy perfectionist and Sean was the exact opposite. He enjoyed football and really any other sport that involved pummeling your opponent, he wasn't very clean, and wasn't very studious. But for some reason, her sister liked him anyway. Lolas mother had always told her "opposites attract" but she never thought her sister would be with someone SO opposite to her.

"Lola, we need to go. This shit is scaring me" Jamie murmured, pulling Sean away from his friends. Lola nodded slowly in agreement, her body shaking with shock. She never would have thought she would experience anything of this caliber in her lifetime. The giant alien spaceship that they saw on the news flying over Ohio on the news scared everyone. But nobody thought that it would cause as big of a disaster like the one they witnessed.

It would only get so much worse

Lola, Jamie, and Sean weaved through the crowd of students spilling out of the school and began their walk back to the girls' house. Sean's parents took a last minute vacation to Hawaii a couple days ago, Lola wondered if it was any better there.

That was the last normal day of their lives. Lola would never see Brittany again, she would never put on her cheer uniform again, she would never sit in a classroom again. She would never be the same

--
668 words
Originally posted; 12/5/17
Edited; 3/26/20