Chapter Fifteen

Life in the barracks for the past 2 weeks with Ringer was beginning to get very annoying. But not just for Princess, for everyone. Mostly because if Princess wasn't happy, nobody was, they were more fearful than anything else.

Whispers, that weren't much like whispers at all, could be heard around the barrack about who would snap first. Most of the squad had their bets on Princess, due to her practically constant glare whenever Ringer was in the room.

Their training for the day would be held in the training room rather than outside. The squad was split into groups and they were to practice sparring. The kids split into their usual partners, all of them except Zombie, Princess, and Ringer. Since Ringer had joined, their squad of 8 was brought to 9, making it uneven. Meaning that Princess couldn't spar with Zombie, because Ringer couldn't do it alone. Nobody else really had an issue with it besides Princess, and Zombie, but he didn't express it as much as Princess.

"Listen" Ringer said, in a pretty nasty tone. "I want actual competition so go fight the dummy or something." She said, pointing to the corner full of dummies, weights, and other workout items.

Princess stepped up closer to her, trying to assert dominance. She spoke, as Zombie attempted to step in and break the tension.

"I could fight with you and it would be the same thing."

Ringer seethed, and clenched her jaw. The tension was so strong between them, and it wasn't the good kind.

Zombie tried to step in and fix the situation but another voice cut her off. It was Reznik, who made the whole room stand on edge just by entering it.

Reznik walked in slowly, with a small grin. "Oh, am I interrupting something."

Nobody said a word, but it was obvious what was going down.

Reznik began to walk out, everyone releasing a breath they didn't realize they were holding, but not before saying one last remark.

"Zombie, with Ringer. Princess, as hard as it may be to keep away from your precious Zombie, wait your turn."

Princess cringed, she didn't need the feelings she wasn't sure she even had for Zombie to be said for the whole squad to hear. There were silent giggles, but nothing loud enough for Reznik to hear.

"You heard him." Spoke Ringer. "Wait your turn."

Princess walked away angrily, pushing her with her shoulder and giving her one last glare. She sat against the all watching the two of them fight, yet talk all at the same time. Ringer argued that it was all a waste of time and that the other kids wouldn't last a day outside of the barrack.

Ringer pinned him down, her arm across his chest with one of her legs on his chest and the other pinning down his legs. She spoke to the two of them, in a surprisingly composed tone.

"Let me guess. You did good in school. You probably played football. You might have even been team captain." She said in Zombies direction. "And you" she said to Princess. "Probably lived up to your name, a princess, A cheerleader, big circle of friends, everyone loved you."

Princess hated to admit it. Lola was loved, she was treated like royalty at school. Very few people had issues with her, there was nothing to hate.

"Life was easy." Ringer continued. "And then, all of a sudden, it wasn't. No more games to win. No one to get weak-kneed at that pretty smile. Nobody to flirt with after cheer practice. You guys weren't ready for the end of the world."

Princess was fuming by this point. It took all her strength not to pounce on top of Ringer and beat her senseless. Zombie noticed, and took charge of the situation. While Ringer was internally gloating at the reaction she got out of Princess, he flipped her over. His body now with the power over hers.

"And you were?"

"I know how to survive. And I was doing fine out there on my own. Till they forced me onto their stupid school bus." Ringer replied, still fighting Zombies grip.

"They were rescuing us." Princess spoke up. She truly believed they were, she would have bled to death in that forest without the soldiers who picked her up.

"We didn't get rescued, dumbass. We got drafted." Ringer replied. Pushing herself and Zombie back up to a standing position on the mat.

"How about this? I take you down, you teach us how to shoot." Zombie asked inquisitively.

"And when you don't?" Ringer said sarcastically, with her hands up in a fighting stance.

"I stop asking." Zombie said, with a smirk.

"Deal." Ringer replied, before beginning to fight. For every punch Ringer threw, Zombie blocked it. It was getting intense. Zombie threw Ringer to the ground.

"Cute necklace. Girlfriend or sister?" Ringer asked, sparing a brief glance at Princess.

"Sister." Zombie replied sentimentally. Ringer noticed, and took the opportunity to gain control over Ringer, and she nocked him backwards, giving him a hard hit to the head.

"You're too soft." She replied. Before walking off. "He's al your's Princess"

972 words

--

aye so I included a bit of a time jump because as you know this is a Ben Parish story and it would be so annoying to include every milestone of his and Lolas relationship, because I not only don't have that time but can't be bothered. Also considering my plans for the end, I need them to be closer. Also I was so glad to finally be able to work off the script, as I do for the rest of my stories, considering I am a shit writer, coming up with original stuff if frustrating, but now I've reached a part in the story where I can go off the script. K thanks thats all, happy holidays to all who celebrated and I hope everyone has a wonderful 2018 <3