Chapter Eighteen

The sound of the helicopter whirring was a grave reminder of what was to come. From inside the base the sound of the helicopter meant very little, only that there was another squad leaving. But when you're inside the plane, it was less about your squad leaving and more of your squad saying goodbye. As there was no absolute guarantee that you would make it back.

Princess held onto the straps of her seat tightly, she was never a fan of flying and sitting in the belly of the helicopter for what felt like forever was only making her more nervous.

A flight worker walked up to Zombie, "Squad 53?".

"Present and accounted for." Zombie replied solemnly.

"All right. Strap in. Take us up." She said, before walking to the front of the helicopter.

"Where's Nugget?" Ringer asked, yelling over the sound of the helicopter engine starting up.

"Food poisoning." Zombie yelled back, before sneaking a look at Princess as they both knew that that was in fact a lie.

After a while of flying, the helicopter began to approach a burning town, prompting the flight worker to give her last words.  "You clear on your orders?"

"Infiltrate enemy hornet's nest, verify enemy and terminate." Zombie replied, barking his response back as he normally did to any official.

"Remember, The Others light up green in your visors. At mission complete, signal for extraction. We'll get ya home." She yelled, as the helicopter was landing.

When it finally hit ground the doors opened and the kids ran out, guns drawn. Zombie, Princess, and Ringer led the pack as they ran towards an alleyway littered with abandoned cars.

They stopped only a few times on Zombies command before taking refuge behind two cars.

Flintstone peered over the trunk of a car and said the first thing anyone of them had said since they hit the battlefield. "Holy shit, it's working. You guys, I got two of 'em straight ahead."

"mother-fu.." Zombie mumbled before he was cut off by Princess' rapid gunfire. Which prompted screams and cries from the younger ones in the squad. When she ceased, Ringer gave her a nod which she returned. But it was a brief second before more gunfire was aimed at them, forcing the whole squad to retaliate.

After about 20 seconds of rapid machine gun firing from what felt like all sides Zombie yelled for them to run to the alley.

Princess charger forwards, sending shots at any green speck she could see. Mindlessly shooting as she ran with the rest of her squad. Survival was the only thing on her mind. She wanted nothing more than to live another day, spend more time with the squad, and Zombie.

She heard an order to get to the bus and followed. Once inside, shots were still being fired at them to which they retaliated until they somewhat ceased.

"Where's Teacup?" Oompa said, standing up and searching the bus. "Where's Teacup? We lost Teacup."

"Over here!" She called, from a hidden corner across the aisle from Princess.

"Don't do that! Don't scare me like th-" Oompa said, until a shot rang out sending him to the floor. Princess turned to shoot at who had attacked them, trying to drown out the cries of desperation from the people behind her. They were begging for him to be ok and to not die, but from their tone it didn't seem to be going their way. Princess shed a tear and she kept up her rapid fire, fueled with the anger that they had just killed someone in her squad.

"We can't stay here. They'll be back." Ringer advised.

"That alley way. We'll have cover there." Zombie said.