Chapter Fourteen

P & D was not what Princess would call fun, hell, it wasn't what anyone with a brain would call fun. But sadly, there wasn't anything to be done about it. 

Princess took up her usual job of carrying the bodies from their pile to the table in which they would be searched. That table was occupied by Dumbo and Oompa. 

This time, Princess had asked Zombie if Nugget could be given a different task because no child should have to worry if they can hold up the head of a dead man. Nugget was moved to sorting the things found on the people's bodies, and deciding which could be used and which could be thrown out. Flintstone took Nuggets job instead, which Princess wasn't too happy about. When someone threatens to kill her, she generally doesn't like to be with their friends. But, there wasn't anything to be done about it. 

Their turn went as it usually did, the only talking was the awkward conversations that people used to mask the fact that they were in a room with hundreds of dead bodies. Princess tried not to look at the bodies she was carrying because it seemed to only make them heavier.

After about an hour of carting the bodies, Princess noticed something. That something was a someone. Towards the back of the pile, there was a body that Princess cold recognize anywhere.  Mostly because hours ago, that body was crying and telling her that there was no hope left in the world. Tanks body was paler than it had been, and his eyes were closed, he almost looked peaceful. 

Before Flintstone could get any closer to the pile, Princess turned to him and told him to get a drink, to which he happily obliged. When he had his back turned, Princess jogged over to Zombie and pulled him from his workstation.

"Zombie, Tank's body is in the pile."

Out of all the things Princess could have said, Zombie would have thought that to be the last. He stared at her briefly, waiting for the 'just kidding' but it never came.

"I guess that's what happens when you go Dorothy" 

He replied softly, as he was still processing it all.

"I don't want Flint to see, I told him to get a drink but that won't stop him for long. I don't know what to do." 

Princess replied nervously, as she played with the hem of her uniform.

After a small debate, Zombie told Flintstone to switch jobs with him, and they spent the next hour carting the bodies. As well as ignoring the one who had slept in their barracks only the night before. 

-

Back in the barracks, the kids sat among their bunks playing cards. Some only watching from above, and others playing versions they made up as they couldn't remember the ones they played in their lives before the waves.

Princess and Zombie sat on the Zombies bunk, having only small conversations between them. Zombie was fiddling with a knife in his hands, and Princess was brushing her hair.

"By the way, I heard the new guy coming in got kicked out of their last squad." Said Dumbo, looking up from the seemingly intense card game. 

"For what?" Replied Princess, sitting forward a bit. 

"Disciplinary issues." Dumbo answered, raising his eyebrows. 

"That true, boss?" Asked Flintstone. 

"That's what they say." Said Zombie, not caring too much, in a monotone voice. He was much too interested in making sure his knife was polished. 

"What's his name?" Asked Teacup.

At that, everyone's eyes flew to the door that had just opened. In walked Reznik, and a girl. The girl had am an angry expression, dark black hair, and charcoal around her eyes. 

"The name's Ringer." Explained Reznik, who had obviously seen the looks of surprise on everyone's face. "And he is a she. Bunk's over there." Finished Reznik, pointing to the bunk on the other side of Zombie and Nuggets. They shared a brief nod and parted ways.

The barrack - well, the barrack besides Princess - had a feeling of deja vu. A girl, entering the barracks, disproving their guesses, and looking like she could kill with only a single glance. 

She walked to her bunk, set down her stuff, and walked over to Zombies bunk. She stopped in front of it, and looked to Zombie (and ignoring the fact that Princess was even there at all. 

"You Zombie?" Ringer asked, in a sassy tone.

Zombie looked at Princess, who only gave him a slight smirk, before standing up and answering.  

"Yeah." 

"I was the leader of my last squad." She replied as if his answer made him unhappy.

"I don't doubt it." Said Princess, earning a small snigger from the younger kids, but Ringer ignored her completely. Princess was beginning to get very tired of her. 

"So the guy I replace went Section 8. Why?" She interrogated.

"Does it matter?" Replied Zombie, it was evident in his voice to everyone that he was beginning to lose his patience.

"I heard it's 'cause this squad's so bad he was afraid you'd get him killed when the 5th Wave hits." She replied, stepping closer to Zombie as if she was challenging him, and it only made the room tenser.

"Uh-huh. It's your squad, too, now." Zombie replied and sat down. Princess could see that he was fuming as well as trying not to stand up and slap Ringer across the face.

Princess leaned forward and whispered to him "Ringer can't be apart of the squad, the position of angsty bitch is taken" 

He laughed and opened his mouth to respond but was cut off by a slap and Ringer yelling 'hey!'.

"Keep staring at my ass and I'll rip your throats out." She said in front of a bent over - and obviously in pain- Flintstone.

 Ringer turned around to face Zombie. "Let's be clear. I'm not taking orders from you. I'm not gonna die with you geniuses."

"Good to know." Responded Zombie.

The whole squad tried to keep in their laughter, as they watched Princess trying to contain her laughter as well. Ringer caught on quickly.

"I heard about you, Princess right, you were the one who passed out on the track"

Princess stood up and took a few steps in Ringers direction. "That's me, I'm also the one that's gonna kick your ass if you don't shut up"

Ringer couldn't think of a response to that that wouldn't get her punished and turned to speak to the rest of the barrack instead. "If anyone in this barrack touches me, I'll kill them. Got it?"

Nobody replied, Princess smirked, and Zombie tried not to laugh at Princess. 

Princess hated Ringer already, she was the Princess of the barrack, and if Ringer tried to overthrow her it wouldn't be pretty.

1159 words

--

I didn't know how to end it per usual, sorry. But long time no see! The holidays are coming up so expect another update soon!!