Chapter Thirteen

Word traveled fast about what had happened. Not all of it was necessarily true though. Some rumors had circled back to them like that Tank had tied the squad up by their laces and they escaped only by a mouse chewing at the laces. That scenario would have been preferred over watching a young boy lose his mind in front of you only to be carried off by armed people who are containing you.

In the days after Tank was carried off the barrack was a bit more cautious of each other, especially of Princess considering her previous outbreaks. But she was working on being more aware of her actions, she didn't want to be the next one carried out of the barrack and to god knows where.

Nugget proceeded to stay on the opposite side of the barrack as Princess, she didn't blame him. But when Princess walked across the barrack to the bunk that Zombie and Nugget shared to talk to Zombie.

Zombie.

Ben.

Zombie.

Nugget spotted her waking over and began to scurry down the ladder, muttering some excuse about having to go to the bathroom.

Princess noticed but proceeded to walk to the bunk and sit beside Zombie who was playing with his tiny locket. When she sat down, Zombie noticed the sudden shift in his mattress and turned to look at her, his face was impassive and sad but still had the youthful glow that Princess seemed to be losing lately. Princess hadn't been sleeping very well, not that she had been before she came to the barracks, but it was beginning to take a real toll. What with the constant and daily physical exertion that she had never endured before.  Zombie turned his body to face hers, putting his feet on the ledge created by the lack of mattress where it should have been.

"Nugget still running off?"

The two of them turned briefly to where Nugget was. He sat on Poundcakes bunk, talking with Dumbo. Both of whom had mostly gotten over their sudden fear of Princess.

"Yup. I mean I don't blame him though, it would take me a bit more to trust someone like me after everything with T-"

"Why do you do that"

He interrupted, his head cocked to the left.

"What do you mean"

Princess fired back, almost instantly.

"Why is it that you still can't seem to trust anyone, what happened to you"

Princess assumed that Zombie thought the answer was something simple, something that didn't rip her insides apart every time she thought of it. 

"Zombie please I-"

"No"

He interrupted yet again, his voice slightly more raised.

"I thought after the whole conversation in the bathroom you would trust us a bit more, trust me. Who wronged you so badly that you can't let go!"

"Zombie where is this coming from? What's wrong!" 

At that, he seemed to calm down a bit, his face softened slightly and his body was less tense. Not that Princess noticed, but the whole barrack was looking in on the situation, but she expected nothing less. They must have been worried they were going to have to go through another situation like with Tank. 

The last thing anyone in the barrack expected to happen was for Princess to reach her hand out for Zombie to hold, to console him. The kids watched in silence, all sorts of outcomes flying through their brain, things like fist fights to loss of limbs. But neither of those or anything in between happened. They sat holding hands, as Princess whispered softly to him.

It took a while before Princess realized what she was doing. But before she could think any further the door flew open, and their hands flew apart. To everyone's dismay, in walked Reznik.

"Come on kiddos, time to have some fun"

819 words

--

AAAH PROBLEMATIC ZOMBIE - which was very hard to write considering I love him so much

Speaking of hard to write - WRITING IS HARD. I know I haven't updated in a while and I'm sorry about that, but it's very difficult to put out a chapter considering the major writers block I have about this section of the story (I have the whole end of the story planned out, as well as Princess' secret and its reveal)

This was like a hella fluff chapter but next chapter is P & D and if you've read the book you can probably guess whats going to go down. 

I don't know when I'll update again but what do you guys want out of Princess regarding Ringer? Her entrance is for sure happening soon and I'm debating between Princess being jealous or kind to her and teaming up for this badass duo. I dunno, comment if you want on your thoughts. 

K that's all thanks hope you liked it and I'm rambling because I want people to read the other stories I've written cause I put a lot of effort into those as well please check them out ok thanks