Chapter Seventeen

That night was incredible my awkward. Nobody needed to ask what had happened when Zombie and Princess left, they all knew. They had seen it happen time and time again with neighboring squads.

They all lie awake in their beds, wondering if anyone else was awake. Princess knew for sure that Zombie was awake. There's no way someone could sleep after hearing they're being sent into battle, at least nobody human.

"Princess" Nugget whispered from above Zombie.

"Yeah?" She whispered back.

"Zombie?" He asked.

It took a second but Zombie grunted a reply.

"are they really sending us to fight?" Nugget asked, his voice wavering due to anxiety.

This warranted for a much longer pause, neither of the teens knew how to tell a child that he was being sent into war. They weren't taught this in school, the last lesson Lola remembered learning in school was about "bonding and nomenclature" which wasn't very helpful in their current society.

Zombie answered for the both of them. "Yeah..." He muttered.

"I'm scared." Nugget replied.

"It's okay." Princess said. "Just go to sleep, all right?"

There was a pause. "What was your name before?" Nugget asked tentatively.

Princess paused, thinking; does she want to reveal her name. At first she couldn't think of what was holding her back from saying "sure kid, I'm Lola Nadine Mitchell". But it hit her all of a sudden, she had thought of Lola to be such a weak and stupid airhead and that Princess was the new and improved version. But all that changed was she put on a dress and went through a tragedy which warranted a name change. She wasn't the new and improved version of Lola, she was just evolving. Just like Lola would have done if the whole invasion had never of happened.

"Lola" she said, a bit louder than she had intended to.

"Ben." Zombie announced a few seconds afterwards.

"What was yours?" Lola asked.

"Sam. But my sister called me Sams. When I couldn't sleep she would sing to me." Sam said, quietly fading out in his speech.

It was quiet until Sam's voice emerged again, this time he was singing.

"Bones sinking like stones
All that we fought for"

Lola knew that song, she remembered listening to it with her friends.

Ben had joined in on the "singing" (if you could even call it that, it was more of a melodic whisper) just as Lola did.

"Homes, places we've grown
All of us are done for"

"Could you guys please shut up?" Flintstones voice penetrated the previously (almost) quiet barrack, seeming to echo off the walls, startling everyone.

Lola lay awake, waiting for some sing as if she should keep signing or not. But when it came, she decided to not join in, and just listen.

"We live in a beautiful world
Yeah we do yeah we do"

Lola had what felt like all the time in the world to ponder those lyrics, but instead she decided to sleep. She worried if she lay awake to long the fear and guilt of having to bring these kids into war the next day would ruin her.

59o words Oh hey! It's only been less than a month! Here's a long awaited update that I hope you all enjoy! And may I add, an update that made me realize how close this is to the end!! Aah! I'm not ready!!! (But the end means the reveal!) (a reveal im hyping up too much and will undoubtedly be incredibly anticlimactic) (sorry lol)