Chapter Two

The bus was nearing the base and most of the kids ran to the windows to get a better view of it. The premises was surrounded by barbed wire, all sorts of helicopters and army vehicles. The actual base looked like it could fit a whole city in it.

The darkness made stepping off the bus even harder than it already was with her injured leg and long dress. When Lola made her way over to the cluster of kids that was forming it was obvious everyone was confused by her. She clutched the number she received tightly and maintained her blank, intimidating, expression.

Lola avoided the eyes of the kids surrounding her and looked above all their heads. She could see a woman with her blonde hair pulled back pointing to her as she spoke to Vosch and another man in uniform. The mystery man nodded and started walking over the kids. He pushed through everyone until he got to Lola, and held out his hand.

Lola paused until she realized all he wanted was her number, but once she handed it to him he paused again, standing at attention.

"You have been asked to report to Sergeant Vosch, following that, you will have your health check"

Lola walked behind the soldier leading her to Vosch. She received a lot of stares but that was to be expected. When she reached Vosch, he ushered her down a hallway into a room. Inside the room there were two women. One in an army uniform and the other in a doctors coat. The doctor smiled when I entered, but the other kept her blank expression.

"Hey hun, I'm Dr. Pam and this is sergeant Reznik"

She motioned to the army woman

"We're going to ask you a few questions, give you a health inspection, and you'll be on your way. Sound good"

Lola looked at the two of them as if it was a joke. Not only was she not accustom to the kindness, but the structure of the whole situation. Reznik wasn't happy with her lack of response. She leaned closer it to Lola's face, and Lola could feel her breath on her.

"Perhaps you didn't hear what the doctor said princess, she asked if that sounded good"

Lola didn't know what Reznik was capable of and didn't want to be on her bad side.

"Sounds good"

Reznik nodded and moved back to her original position. Vosch who was still in the room sat in a chair near the door that was next to Reznik. Dr. Pam started the conversation.

"What's your name"

"Lola"

"How old are you?"

"17"

"Any family known to be alive"

"No"

"Why are you wearing a dress"

No response.

Reznik spoke up again.

"Princess, why the dress"

Lola pretended she didn't hear it. She knew exactly why she was wearing a dress, hell, she couldn't forget it. She wouldn't ever be able to get the experience out of her head.

The three were tired of her lack of answers and tried to keep their cool. They coaxed her with promises of safety and protection but nothing could crack her.

"Dr. Pam, you can start tending to the other kids, Vosch and I will handle her right now"

They brought to a room that was white and blank like the rest of the rooms she had seen. There was nothing in the room except what looked like a dentist chair with all sorts of machines branching off it, and a small plastic chair.

It was obvious that Reznik had had enough of her and jerked her finger to the chair, implying that she should sit. Lola laid back in the chair and then Vosch strapped connected her into all the machines.

"This machine may hurt, and it may scare you, but understand that this is required to assure your safety and the safety of others. We're just going to do a quick jog of your memory"

Lola stared at him with doe eyes, starting to get nervous. Reznik stared at her as she started pressing all sorts of buttons. Lights flickered on and machines whirred. Lola's head began to hurt and then slowly she lost conciseness.

Lola was in Wonderland

705 words
--
I know the dress thing doesn't make sense now but I promise it will