Chapter Twelve

After the two of them had sat for a while longer having meaningless conversations about favorite movies, bands, book, they stopped when Princess heard whispers.

As she was closest to the door it was easiest for her to hear the whispers that were undoubtedly coming from the rest of her squad. She recognized Teacups squeaky voice, and Tanks ever disapproving and pessimistic tone.

Zombie had noticed, he also noticed the small smile that crept onto Princesses lips as she stood up to open the door. She almost let out a snicker as she twisted the handle slowly, with the sole purpose of teasing the people on the other side who were probably scurrying back to their beds now.

When the door was fully ajar, the two of them got a better view of the kids. Teacup and Nugget were both in very uncomfortable looking positions on Tanks bed, who was visibly upset about it. Poundcake looked out of breath as he leaned against the bunk closest to the far door.  They walked out, catching eyes with everyone in the room, and walked to their respective beds.

An awkward silence hung over the barrack, and Princess couldn't help but smile, which confused everyone. Everyone but Zombie. In the time they had talked he could see her slowly letting go of herself, and being the person she was before Princess. She was comfortable being Lola around him. He watched her bite her lip softly, to stifle her smile, as Teacup raised her eyebrows at her. 

Everyone found the situation quite comical, everyone but Tank.

"You have got to be kidding me! I mean, are you guys really about to get all mushy on me!"

His voice echoed throughout the barrack, startling everyone.

"Our lives are on the line daily, most of the human population is dead, there is no hope for rebuilding what our lives once were! And you guys are going to be stupid and fall in love!"

Princess shot up at those last words.

"Shut it Tank!"

He gave her a glare and cocked his head, as he watched Zombie slowly stand up.

"No, Princess, I won't! because I'm not an idiot! I'm not so stupid that I don't see whats happening here! Doesn't this whole military base seem pretty sketchy to you all! Have you not seen the underlying motive these people have!"

Everyone was in shock, they had tried to avoid thinking about all the things that could go wrong in the safe haven they had found. 

"These Others! They're in our heads! And if you don't believe me, you may as well be dead"

At those words, he pulled out the gun he had concealed in his pocket. Everyone took steps back, everyone but Princess and Zombie. On the other hand, they stepped forward, taking small steps with their arms outstretched. Zombie, as squad leader, took this opportunity to try and save his barrack.

"Tank, you don't have to do this. Put the gun down"

He pointed the gun at Zombie now.

"You don't understand, there's no hope"

It was hard to tell if he was crying, but if he was, he wouldn't be the only one in the room.

Nugget was crying into Teacups shoulder, who was being held by Poundcake. The rest of them were frozen in shock.

Princess spoke next, choosing her words very carefully, and also trying to ignore the voice in the back of her head that was telling her she was going to get herself killed. 

"Tank, it's ok, put the gun down."

He was really crying now.

"Don't you see it! Everything, all of this, there's no reason to try. There's no point in you even talking to Zombie because you'll both be dead before you have the chance to eve hold hands!"

Princess was at a loss for words, he was right. There really was no point, but that wasn't going to stop her. Before she could ponder it any further, Tanks body hit the ground, and behind him stood Flintstone. He had hit him with the butt of his gun, not hard enough to kill him, but enough to make him pass out.

Before anyone had the chance to say anything, the door slammed open. In walked at least a dozen soldiers, all heavily armed, and Reznik who was followed by Vosch. 

Reznik's voice rang out in the barrack as Tanks had done just before.

"Alright soldiers, you know what to do. Squad 53, please step to the side and let them do their job."

 Princess and Zombie quickly jogged backward, making way for the soldiers who were picking Tank up. They carried him as if he weighed nothing, like a rag doll, and marched out of the room. Everyone wanted to whisper to each other, to cry, and let out all their fears but they couldn't as they were being watched by Vosch. 

He saw Nugget and Teacup, still crying. He saw Poundcake hanging his head and breathing quite heavily. He saw Oompa and Dumbo, staring at the spot where Tank had just been laying moments before.

He also saw Princess and Zombie standing off to the side, still shaking from all the nerves rushing through them. Princess hoped he didn't catch the two of them holding hands, but then again, she didn't really care.

958 words

~~

KSSKKSKKSK WHAT WAS THAT ENDING
AND WOW IT SURE HAS BEEN A WHILE SINCE I HAVE EVEN OPENED THIS STORY

- I had a lot of writer's block
- I (sadly) have to wake up at the crack of dawn every morning to get an education
I know these past few chapters have been pretty shitty, but I sort of need an education and its hard to do that if I'm also trying to develop a fictional character

I don't know when I'll update again but I HAVE PLANS FOR THE END OF THIS JUST NOT THE MIDDLE

ALSO, I HAVE OTHER STORIES I PLAN ON UPDATING SOON PLEASE CHECK THEM OUT THERE'S A JURASSIC WORLD, KINGS OF SUMMER, AND IT (2017) FIC OK THANK YOU