THE FOURTH WAVE

The Fourth Wave was when the Others began to physically appear on Earth among the humans. They were called "Silencers", as it was their job to kill much of the remaining human population. They have programmed themselves into certain humans and have full control of them. This made it hard for the remaining human population to trust in anyone now as they cannot tell who is truly human or a silencer.

———

Lola didn't know if she could use the word boredom to describe her current state. She didn't want to say bored, because that meant she was at a loss of things to do, but that would be a lie. Sean and Jamie were constantly venturing through the forest, asking her to join them every time, but she declined. She was at her lowest state, with no will to do anything.

Jamie came into her room as she did every day when she begged for her to come with her and Sean to the surrounding forest. "Hey Lo, I have an idea". Jamie made her way to Lola's bed and Lola cleared some space for her. Jamie sat down with strained eyes, her hands shaking almost as much as her voice. "Now don't get pissed but I was looking around your room the other day and I saw that dress. I and Sean have a surprise so go put it on and meet us outside"

Lola looked at her in confusion, while Jamie stared blankly at her. Lola worried for her sister, wondering if today was the day she was finally going stir crazy. She decided to go, to make her happy. "Fine, give me a minute". Jamie walked out, and Lola heard her walk down the hall and out the door

Lola got out of her bed and put on the dress. It was a pale pink, that hit at her ankles. It had a sweetheart neckline and flared out at her waist. It was just her size. She admired herself in the mirror for a few seconds before walking out of her room and the front door.

The second she turned the corner to the side of the house she felt a cold presence on the side of her head. A gun. "You move, I shoot"

Sean was threatening her, with a gun, and her sister was standing idly by 5 feet away. Lola couldn't speak, or move a muscle. Sean slowly backed away from her, keeping his finger on the trigger and the gun pointed at her.

"Jamie" Lola whispered, but Jamie looked at her with a blank expression. But her hands were shaking and her head was pounding.

Lola's hands began to shake and she could feel every bit of movement in her bones. It was impossible to look at anything but the gun pointed at her, threatening her.

Nobody moved until Jamie turned to Sean to say something, but before she could get a word out Sean cut her off.

"Ok, you happy now" Sean whispered.

Jamie only silently shook her head.

"I've waited long enough!" Sean yelled. "First you made us find a nice place and keep her safe!"

Lola took a step forward, her survival instincts kicking in.

"We kill her parents and not her!"

She was closer now

"And now you put her in a nice fucking dress so we can give her a beautiful fucking funeral!"

She almost stopped dead on her tracks, her sister wanted to give her a nice sendoff. But she wasn't going to let it happen, and took a step closer.

"You know we have to kill her remember what they told me!"

She reached her hand out, her fingertips almost grazing the gun. Sean was so angry he was seconds from convulsing, he didn't even see her.

"I'm being a fucking saint letting you in on this plan! You know they're right we have to kill her and ever-"

He didn't see her grab his gun until she had it in her hands. He lunged for her but she didn't something she never thought she could every day she did.

She pulled the trigger.

She turned away from the bloodied mess that was now his face, her screams in unison with Jamie's. She turned back around, shaking, avoiding looking at the bloody lifeless mess that was Sean, or something like Sean. Jamie opened her mouth to speak, but nothing came out, a bullet went in.

Lola stood still for about a minute, staring down at what she had just done. Until she dropped her gun, fell to her knees, and screamed until her voice gave out.