The Start

Taylor woke up bright and early to get a head start on her first day at NCIS. She grew up with the idea of NCIS being her dream job and shivered with excitement to finally get the chance to experience it.

After a shower, change of clothes, and breakfast, Taylor was ready to go... three hours earlier than necessary. She spent the extra time pacing and thinking.

Her phone buzzed, and she paused her pacing to glance at it. A text from Steve.

S: Good luck on your first day! You're gonna be amazing! ;>

Taylor smiled. Steve was such a great guy. She couldn't wait until he had a girlfriend, and she could give him advice or tease him. She wanted what was best for him.

She looked at the clock and groaned. Two more hours to wait...

~~~~~~~

Steve dropped his phone on his bed and ran his fingers through his hair. Was the winky face too much? Was Taylor even up? Surely she would be awake super early today.

He checked his phone again five minutes later. No reply. He wondered if he should send another text. He typed out another message, deleted it, then typed it again. He was about to send it when his phone sang to him and a reply popped up.

T: thanks, I'm gonna need it. :P

Steve lay back on the bed and stared at the ceiling. What was he going to do about this aching feeling in his stomach?

Then he got an idea.

~~~~~~~

"Look, Dad! Isn't it cool??" Taylor resembled a small child as she looked at her temporary ID. She stood in the squad room, admiring it.

Tony, who had taken over Gibbs spot for the last 5 years, chuckled and looked at another file on his computer. "Yes, Taylor. It's very cool."

Taylor smiled and clipped the ID to her belt loop. "Okay. I have a meeting with the director to go over my responsibilities here. This is supposed to be super professional. How do I look?"

Tony looked at her and sighed, slightly unhappy. "Like a grown up."

Taylor rolled her eyes while ziva came over and patted her back. "I think you look like a very mature 20-year-old ready to start her journey in the professional world."

Taylor grinned and made her way upstairs. As soon as she was gone, Ziva turned to Tony. "So she doesn't know she's working with us?"

Tony shook his head. "Not yet. But I think working with us all will help her settle in at least. Maybe she can branch out further next month."

Ziva smiled pleasantly. "I missed her..."

~~~~~~~

Taylor was ecstatic to hear her placement. Working with her family, by DNA and not, was part of her dream of working at NCIS.

She excitedly followed around the team on their not-so-busy day and got used to the desk work that would be assigned. She sat at her dad's old desk that was yet to be filled.

At the end of the day, they all drove home together and chatted about the day.

"Y'know," Taylor said as they pulled into the driveway.  "I'm really excited about this summer. I mean, I know it's just The Start, but I can tell it's gonna be good."

~~~~~~

Don't forget to vote! <3

~~~~~~