Betrayal of the Highest Order

"NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! I AM GOING TO KILL YOU PETER PETTIGREW IF IT IS THE LAST THING I DO!" James bellowed.

It's one thing to betray one friend, let them die, but to betray another....it was a death sentence.

And this was worse, in a way. Sirius was still alive...just.

Sirius was alive, and Peter was 'dead'.

Peter had faked his death by turning into a rat, after killing 13 muggles in the presence of none other than Sirius Black. Sirius was then arrested for the murder of Peter and 13 muggles, and had a life sentence in Azkaban.

"WHY IS THE WORLD SO BLOODY UNFAIR?"

James was going to kill Peter when he got hold of him. Peter deserved to die, a slow and painful death. He had ruined Sirius' entire life, and Moony had disappeared into thin air, but Moony was alive, and safe, hiding in somewhere James didn't recognise. It was nearly full moon time, and it would be rough on Moony. Death of a best friend, another sent to Azkaban and the other supposedly dead.

It was worse, for Moony, he supposed. Because Moony actually thought it was real, thought that Sirius had killed those people. And he news made it sound so convincing, oh yes, poor Peter Pettigrew, him and his big bad friends, the brave ones, the ones who knew the spells. Peter couldn't have killed, of course he couldn't. Sirius was the one who killed them all. That made sense, the big tough guy, James Potter's best friend, out to get revenge on the world after the death of his best friend. And Moony thought that Sirius worked for Voldemort - he hadn't known that Peter was secret keeper, no it was private. And Moony had to deal with thinking that two of his best friends and his study partner were dead, and his remaining friend was in Azkaban.

Yes, it would be a rough full moon this month.

"Bloody....unfair...world."

James had given up trying to inflict his opinion on the living world. It was too hard for him. He spent his free time watching Harry's torturous life with the Dursley's, or how the people at St Mungo's were doing. Once, he had seen Sirius in his cell, but it was too hard seeing the gaunt look in his face and the haunted look in his eyes.

How can you betray all of your friends like that, Pettigrew?