CHAPTER TWO: ARTIS (5/6)

SD-1 was a larger pod than Kas was used to, big enough to stand up and walk around in. It was essentially a tube with padded white walls and a sensory deprivation mattress that filled the lower third of the capsule. Kas jumped on it and was surprised to find it was rock solid.

'Omni-tensile,' she said out loud. If she lay down she would sink into it like a mould.

The pod was otherwise very sparse. At either end were two round doors: the entry hatch, which she'd just come in through, and another to her own personal washroom. Sharing the communal facility was one thing she didn't enjoy about her visits to The Black Hole, but that wouldn't be a problem tonight.

She made a gesture with her hand as if pulling a strand of thread downwards from the curved ceiling and the lights dimmed. She considered putting some music on but instead opted for silence. And it was silent; no engine hum or steady beeping of a trajectory monitor tonight. This thing was a bunker.

She turned back to the entry hatch and saw a circular mirror mounted within it. She was surprised to see she wasn't as much of a mess as she felt. Her mohawk was still standing proud, if a little ruffled, and her dark skin was barely blotched from the acid rain. She reached up and tapped on her reflection which immediately became misty. Bold white text materialised on top of it, offering her three options:

Pod

Service

Entertainment

Kas tapped on 'Pod' and a new list appeared:

Sleep

Air Levels

Temperature

She increased the temperature by two degrees then turned away and stretched her arms out wide, expanding her ribcage. She winced. Her body was still aching from Otto's bluster-duster assault. She consoled herself in knowing that he'd got the worse deal and crossed the mattress to the second hatch. She opened it wide, expecting to find the basic washing facilities, but she instead found herself peering into a fully equipped relaxation cove.

I could get used to this...

She stepped inside and closed the hatch behind her.