CHAPTER TWENTY: CAVEMAN (4/5)

Kas shovelled a spoonful of rice into her mouth and swallowed. She quickly regretted it; it was extremely spicy. Mack must have seen it coming because he handed her a glass of milk with a smile. She gulped it down and washed away the burn.

'The captain has been telling us all about your escape from Eidol,' Mana said. 'I understand you almost had your memories altered.'

'Almost,' Kas replied, the fire in her throat doused. 'Or maybe they already have been.'

'How do you mean?' Rhaspa asked.

'Maybe I'm in the MI console right now and this is all just a false memory planted by Swanne to somehow gain my allegiance. Maybe you guys are going to end up torturing me or something and she'll turn up and save the day, and I'll realise she's not so bad after all.'

Mack smacked the table. 'Damn, she's figured us out already. Guess we'll just have to kill her.'

'I can promise you nobody here is interested in hurting you,' Rhaspa said. 'We might be a community of ex-soldiers and Federal fugitives but we are all peaceful.'

Kas picked up an apple slice off her plate and slipped it between her teeth. It was crunchy and sweet and was one of the tastiest things she'd ever eaten. She chewed it down and turned to Captain Mack.

'You told me you were sent to Eidol to replace a captain who went missing.'

Mack nodded. 'Captain Fei. He went to Eidol two years ago and never came back.'

'Back where? Here?'

'That's right. He was the one who recruited me for this base.'

'I don't understand. If you and Captain Fei are fugitives, how did you get the job on Eidol?'

'I'm not a fugitive. In fact, technically, I'm still an employee of the Federation. Fei was the same. That's why we were the recruiters; I'm one of the very few people on this planet who can still travel freely to the main worlds.'

'OK. So if you went to Eidol to replace Captain Fei, why did he go there?'

'Well...'

'If you don't mind,' Rhaspa intervened, 'I would rather not talk about Captain Fei. His disappearance still causes me great sadness and I had hoped for this to be a happy occasion. Why don't we talk about something else? Kas, tell me, what do you think of the food?'

Kas almost laughed at Rhaspa's attempt to change the conversation. There was clearly something going on that he didn't want her to hear. 'It's fine,' she replied instead. 'I'm not crazy about spicy food.'

'We have a wide selection available. Please, help yourself.'

Kas leaned back casually in her seat. 'Actually, if you don't mind, I was thinking I might request my ride now.'

'I'm sorry? What ride?'

'The one Captain Mack promised me. He said once we arrived here that I'd be able to get a ride to any planet or moon of my choice.'

'Did he now? Is that true, Captain?'

'It's true,' Mack said with a mouth full of mashed potato, 'though I didn't say when the ride would be.'

Kas might have pulled him out of his chair if she wasn't in a room full of soldiers. 'You son of a--'

'Please,' Rhaspa said, 'let's keep things civilised.'

'And if you want this place to remain civilised, I suggest you honour the captain's promise and let me go home.'

'Home... yes. Unfortunately, I have been placed in a very difficult position. You see, most of the people that come here don't leave. The few who do are people I trust with my life, quite literally. All I know about you is you're a bounty hunter. If I let you go, how can I be sure you won't sell me out?'

Kas shrugged. 'I guess you can't.'

'Quite. I don't wish to hold anyone against their will, but until I can be sure of your intentions, I'm afraid I have no choice but to ask you to stay here.'

Kas clenched her jaw and looked at Captain Mack. 'I should have made you drop me off on Polo.'

'If I did that then Swanne would already have you.'

'You don't know that.'

'Yes, I do. Try to understand that I've done you a favour. This place is a gift.'

'Then I hope you kept the receipt because if I don't get a ride out of here soon, you need to try and understand me. I don't care how many soldiers and how many guns you've got - nobody is going to keep me on this stupid planet for one minute longer than I care to stay. I would rather die kicking and screaming than be locked up again.'

Rhaspa cleared his throat. 'No-one is suggesting locking you up.'

'I wasn't being literal. You're taking away my freedom.'

'You must be able to see my concern.'

'Trust me. You'll have bigger concerns if you force me to stay.'

'I see. I know I'm in no position to be asking favours of you, but I wonder if you might agree to spend a few nights here, simply to allow me some time to consider alternate options. I'll make sure you're comfortable and well fed and you'll be free to explore as much as you like. You're not our prisoner.'

Kas picked up another apple slice and bit it in half. The eyes of the table were on her, and try as she might, she couldn't deny it was the best solution. She didn't really know what she planned to do once she got to Polo, anyway.

'You've got one night,' she replied. 'After that, one way or another, I'm getting on a ship.'

'One night,' Rhaspa agreed. 'Alright. Once you've finished eating, I'll have somebody show you to your bedroom.'

Kas pushed her plate away and stood. 'I'm done.'

'Very well. Captain Mack, would you mind--'

'I can show her to her room,' Mana said as she stood. 'You should enjoy your meal.'

Rhaspa nodded. Mana turned to Kas and smiled.

'If you'd like to follow me.'

She walked away from the table. Kas grabbed one last apple slice from her plate before following after her.