CHAPTER TWELVE: CRASH (5/5)

The rear doors pried themselves open like an old wound, screeching in agony. It saddened Kas to hear it. She knew the Calista was just a ship, but it was her ship - her most prized possession. Her home. And it sounded like it was dying.

She knelt and stretched her arms above her head, splaying her fingers like the man had instructed. She'd made fast work of removing her Domino skinsuit and was now back in her workout clothes, having stashed the valuable artifibre inside her weapons cabinet and locked it tight. Though she'd only been out of it for a couple of minutes, she could already feel the effects of the stim comedown creeping back in and provoking her senses.

As the rear doors yawned wider and wider, a light pink mist invaded the Calista and mixed with the ship's atmosphere. It chilled Kas's throat and condensed in her lungs. She'd never experience atmospheric grenades, and so far she wasn't enjoying it. It felt like she was trying to inhale with a wet cloth held over her face. She couldn't take deep breaths and was instead forced to sip as though the air was a fine and expensive wine. A tactical decision, she knew, designed to stop her from trying to run or do anything too exertive.

Through the mist, Kas could just about see six of the federal soldiers keenly aiming their weapons at her. She could also hear the two Wraiths hovering just out of sight, presumably ready to blow her to pieces should something go really wrong.

Kas remained motionless as the ramp touched down, waiting for her next instruction. She didn't have to wait long.

'Lie face down on the floor,' the voice instructed.

Kas lay down, having to put one hand down on the floor to stop herself from falling flat on her face.

'Place your hands behind your head and interlock your fingers.'

Kas finished her instruction as quickly as possible, weaving her fingers together behind her skull until she felt well and truly useless. With her forehead pressed against the cold metal of the ramp, she couldn't see much, but she could still hear and feel the steady rumble of heavy booted footsteps fast approaching from every direction. It sounded like the thunder of a coming storm.

 It sounded like the thunder of a coming storm