CHAPTER TWELVE: CRASH (3/5)

Kas stared at the holograms like they were bona fide ghosts.

Wraiths were top-of-the-line fighter craft. Federal, of course. It seemed wherever Kas went these days, the Federation was already there waiting for her. Wraith fighters were much like one would expect: fast and deadly. They had been the poster ships for the GFA's recruitment drive way back when a young Kas Balera had actually considered joining the Federation. That quickly changed once she entered the academy, but she had made sure to stick with it until the third and final year when recruits were given the chance to fly a Wraith as part of their training. She'd been the first to take to the controls and subsequently performed so well that the rest of the recruits looked bad by comparison. It was the only time she'd ever flown one, but with two of them now tethered to her, Kas felt the sting of youthful longing and yearned to return to its cockpit.

The Calista's tannoy crackled and a gruff man's voice came through.

'Unidentified ship. You have entered a restricted orbit and are in breach of federal regulation. Identify yourself immediately.'

Kas allowed herself a few seconds to come up with a response. She was going to have to improvise.

'Oh, thank goodness!' she panted. 'You don't know how happy I am to see you! I was on my way to Vesina when I was attacked by a group of booters! I tried to get away but they chased after me and attacked and left me for dead! I've been spinning out of control ever since!'

'What's your name?'

'Kas. My ship's called the Calista.'

'Calista, what is your destination?'

'As I said, I was on my way to Vesina when I was attacked.'

'How many people do you have on board?'

'Just me.'

'Are you injured?'

'Just a bit shaken up, but I think I should be fine to pilot my way back home from here.'

The long silence did little to calm Kas's nerves. Her left foot began tapping rhythmically on the floor while she waited for him to reply.

'Calista,' he said at last. 'I'm looking at your ship and it has sustained a lot of damage. It's a long journey to Vesina. I don't think you should be travelling in such a condition.'

'I know my ship, sir, it will make it to Vesina.'

'I can't let you take the risk. You will now be escorted to a safe landing zone. Do not attempt--'

'What landing zone? Where?'

'Do not attempt to break away. I shouldn't need to point this out, but you are currently harpooned by two Wraiths. They are faster than you, they are stronger than you, and their guns could shoot the legs off a flea at five miles. Please don't antagonise them. Do you understand?'

'I understand I'm being escorted against my will.'

'That's good enough.'

The man's voice disappeared and Kas was left in solemn silence. The Wraith on her right suddenly pulled ahead, the harpoon cable stretching and sweeping into view until the fighter was directly in front of her in the viewport, leading her like a toy on a rope. Now she could see it with her own eyes, she was reminded of just how beautiful it was. Its twin thrusters glowed like two blue eyes looking back at her. The second Wraith retreated behind her to put the Calista in the middle. Kas looked at the Holo-HUD and thought she looked like a prisoner in chains.

Where are they even taking me...?

But the answer soon became clear as the Wraith in front swerved to the left and forced her into a wide curve, guiding Kas around an invisible bend. Kas's frown turned to childish wonder when she saw the unmistakable shape of a large asteroid lurking in the distance. Hell, it was practically a small moon. She refreshed her radial scanner but there was no sign of even the smallest rock anywhere in sight. She put it down to yet another thing wrong with the Calista's equipment and locked eyes on the pale circle.

Hardly my idea of a safe landing zone...