CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX: IRIS (2/5)

X1 fighters were twice the size of Wraiths though they had no pilots. They were controlled by onboard X1 computers and were designed to be strong, fast and deadly. If Wraiths were wasps, then X1 fighters were hornets.

The Pegasus's tannoy crackled and produced a cold, inhuman voice.

'Unidentified fleet - this is the United Galactic Federation. Identify your leader.'

The glow left Swanne's eyes and Otto released Captain Mack. Swanne looked like she'd just been dropped into a pit and was waiting for some unseen beast to pounce.

'This is Governor Swanne of the federal space-station Eidol,' she replied. 'What can I do for you?'

'What is your identification code?'

'This conversation is not private.'

'What is your identification code?'

Swanne's hands curled into fists. 'Seven seven blue, ex, four one green, kay, eight six red.'

'Identity authenticated. Please signal your location.'

'I'm currently docked with a freighter ship. I will have to disembark--'

'Signal your location immediately.'

Swanne grimaced and looked at the Pegasus's controls with mounting frustration. She glared at Captain Mack. 'Where's the beacon on this damned thing?'

'The black switch to your left,' Mack replied. Swanne saw the switch and flicked it. A bank of bright lights flashed around the Pegasus's hull.

'Ship identified,' the voice resumed. 'Why are you so far from your base?'

'I am on an urgent rescue mission,' Swanne replied.

'You are not supposed to leave your base without federal approval. Why did you not report your journey to the Federation?'

'Under section six-point-two of base procedure, I am entitled to depart without approval if I deem urgent action is required.'

'Please provide more detail.'

'That would require divulging sensitive information I know the Federation would not want me to discuss over open transmission.'

'Why did you not make the Federation aware of your journey during transit?'

'I should have done, I apologise. With Selva gone, I didn't want to add to the Federation's concerns. Once I have returned my fleet safely to Eidol, I shall gladly submit myself to the Federation for a review of my actions. I can assure you, I have only ever acted in the Federation's best interests.'

Kas was starting to feel very hot inside her spacesuit - their entire plan hinged on this next moment.

'Please separate your ship from your fleet and prepare to be escorted,' the voice replied. Kas suppressed the urge to fist pump.

'Escorted where?' Swanne asked through gritted teeth.

'Refusal to do so will be treated as a hostile response.'

'It will take me a few minutes to disengage my ship from the freighter.'

'Is the freighter operational?'

'Yes, but--'

'Then you will remain on board the freighter and detach your ship immediately.'

'If you want me to detach it, then I will first have to board it.'

'You can disengage your docking gears and detach it without boarding.'

Swanne blinked. 'That is a highly advanced ship. You want me to just jettison it into space unmanned?'

'The advanced nature of the ship makes it a liability, and your insistence on returning to it is also suspect. The Federation prefers that you remain on the freighter.'

Kymeira cocked her head at Swanne, apparently sensing her master's anger - but the Governor wasn't done yet. 'There are other people on board the freighter who do not have federal clearance. It would be much better if--'

'You have received your instructions. Detach your ship and separate the freighter from the fleet immediately. You have one minute to comply.'

The tannoy crackled and left Swanne in silence. She stood as still as the bio-mechs behind her and seethed. The small blue vein in her temple bubbled and breathed and fuelled her head with toxic thoughts until finally, she touched a hand to her space suit's collar and spoke.

'This is Governor Swanne. All Wraiths tethered to the freighter ship are to release it immediately.'

A chorus of thunks echoed around the ship as the three dozen harpoons released their grips on the Pegasus. Swanne remained standing as she took to the controls and located the switches for the docking gears. She ignored the alarm that blared at her as she turned them off. Kas heard the rear doors closing and looked to the ship's display where bright red text was flashing incessantly.

WARNING: DOCKING GEARS DISENGAGED

A groan drowned out the alarm as Swanne's ship came away like a wet plaster. Both the alarm and groaning stopped simultaneously as the ship was abandoned to space. Taking the controls, Swanne piloted the unburdened freighter away from the fleet as the tannoy crackled again.

'Proceed directly ahead,' the voice instructed. Swanne obliged without question and took the ship forwards, sailing past the surrounding Wraiths in eerie silence. They had barely cleared the fleet's perimeter when nine of the X1 fighters surrounded the Pegasus on all sides.

'Your fleet is to remain in its current position,' the voice continued. 'If any one of them deviates, it will be treated as a hostile response and incur automatic retaliation. Do you understand?'

'Yes,' Swanne replied, her voice as cold and as distant as the one she was talking to.

'Thank you for your cooperation. You will now be escorted to the Torus.'

The nine X1 fighters led the Pegasus away from its former captors and into the waiting swarm of hornets.