CHAPTER FOUR: SELVA (4/7)

The third surprise of Kas's short yet eventful journey was perhaps the least welcome.

C.A.P. officers (referring to the Corps of Astral Police, though they were often just referred to as 'caps') were invariably proud, snooty people with something to prove. And they hated bounty hunters. They dreamed of making big arrests and living the fancy lives they believed they would attain back when they were training in the academy - the very same academy that a young Kas Balera once attended - and were jealous of the attention and riches that came from bounty hunting. The way they saw it, people like Kas undermined their jobs and stole their glory.

Kas engaged the boarding gear to enable flight lieutenant Astell to dock. Before long, the familiar yet unwelcome jerk that came with docking alerted her to the fact that, once again, her ship had been mounted in deep space by another vessel.

At least this time it's consensual...

Worm had done as Kas had instructed and stashed herself away up in the sleeping quarters where she had a secret compartment, though it was a tight squeeze for the girl. Kas then turned her attention to Hik who was still standing in his usual spot in the cargo hold.

'If he says anything to you, you're not to reply, understand?'

'I will not respond unless you instruct me.'

'And don't move either. If he threatens you or even attempts to harm you, you don't move.'

'What if he attempts to hurt you?'

'I can take care of myself. As far as you're concerned, we're on a mission to Selva. Do not talk. Do not--'

The talk was ended by the sound of the rear doors opening.

So much for quiet time...

Kas was only mildly surprised to see the blonde cap officer that had sold her his pod back in Artis. She'd somehow expected it to be him, and judging by his face, he was equally uninterested to find the semi-aggressive black lady he called 'mohawk' standing before him. He even flashed her that winning grin of his in greeting.

'Hello again,' he said, stepping off the ramp and into the cargo hold.

'Wondered if it'd be you,' she replied. 'Lieutenant... Ass-what?'

'Astell,' he humoured her, though the grin had cooled. 'And it's flight lieutenant if you wouldn't mind.' A curl of blonde hair fell from its designated location and busied his forehead. He swept it back into place and continued his approach, his eyes drawn magnetically to the X1. 'So this is the X1 you captured?'

'My word, lieutenant, with investigatory skills like that I'm amazed you're not captain already.' Astell didn't respond. He stepped right up to the X1 and studied it like it was a priceless new find in a museum.

'So how did you capture it? This, and those three scum you so kindly auctioned off.'

'Wasn't hard. Just took a little skill, that's all.'

'You implying C.A.P. officers aren't skilled?'

'I'm not implying anything. Are you?'

The flight lieutenant turned to her, the X1 apparently forgotten. 'How was the pod I sold to you? Were you comfortable?'

'It was alright but I wouldn't pay more than 200 for it.'

'Guess you'll have to go back to your basic pod next time then.'

'Maybe. The credits I got from the Artisseum will cover my nights there for a long time yet.' The annoyance on Astell's face was well exposed this time; he could not land a single jab. He must've realised he was out-gamed because he suddenly changed tactics.