CHAPTER TWENTY: CAVEMAN (2/5)

'So you're here to look after us, huh?' Kas said.

'That's what the general instructed,' Sudds replied.

'General. That's funny... I don't remember Rhaspa ever joining the military.'

'He's a good leader. That's all that matters.'

'So are you a racist too?'

Sudds folded his arms in a way that made his biceps look bigger than they were. 'You have no idea what you're talking about.'

'Then why don't you enlighten me?'

Sudds said nothing. Worm, meanwhile, had begun roaming the cave, pressing her nose up against anything and everything there was to look at - which wasn't much. Apart from the drinks cabinet, the only decorations were a scattering of hand-carved wooden ornaments depicting alien creatures that had been positioned in lighted alcoves in the walls.

'Are we allowed to leave?' Kas asked.

'I think it would be best if we stay here.'

'Figured as much. Then may I please have something to drink?'

'Help yourself. There's water in the cabinet.'

Kas strolled over to the drinks cabinet and found Mack's blue glass bottle still open. She picked it up and raised it to her lips.

'I wouldn't recommend that,' Sudds said. 'The captain's the only one who can stomach it.'

Kas ignored him and was about to take a swig when she inhaled some of the fumes and started coughing. Sudds laughed. Embarrassed, Kas returned the bottle to the cabinet and retrieved another larger one filled with clear liquid that she assumed to be water. She grabbed two glasses and carried the lot over to the stone table and set them down. She poured two drinks - one for herself and one for Worm - but Worm was still exploring so Kas took a seat and drank alone. The water tasted surprisingly sweet. She slouched in her chair and made a show of putting her feet up on the table, watching Sudds as she did. If it bothered him, he didn't show it.

'So how long have you been here, Suggs?' she asked.

'It's Sudds,' he corrected her. 'I've been here long enough.'

'Months? Years? Decades?'

'That's right.'

'Which one?'

'All of them.'

Kas took another sip of water. Worm had apparently grown bored of the alien trinkets because she wandered over to the table and took the seat next to Kas. She even put her feet up on the table the way Kas had which made her smile. It was the first sign of forgiveness she'd shown in days.

That's the way all three of them stayed for the rest of the hour, with Sudds guarding the doorway and Kas and Worm reclined by the table, silent except for the occasional gulping of water. While Kas's mind was reeling with questions about Rhaspa and what he and his people were up to on Xeo, Worm soon drifted off to sleep and started snoring. Kas gave her a poke and the snoring stopped, only to be replaced by a strange clicking noise Worm made with her mouth.

'Time to go,' Sudds said at last, summoning Worm from her dreams.

'Go where?' Kas asked.

'To the hall. It's dinner time.'

Worm reacted like a hungry dog and jumped out of her seat. Kas didn't budge an inch.

'Aren't you coming?' Sudds asked.

'Do I have a choice?'

'Sure. You can stay here and be hungry, or you can come with us and eat. The door has a lock, you know.'

Kas allowed a couple of seconds to give the impression she didn't care before sliding her legs off the table.