CHAPTER THREE: HAWKED (2/6)

'Kas Balera,' Jedd said with a broad smile. 'The spirit of the stars returns.'

Kas smirked as she crossed the foyer towards him. 'How you doing, Jedd?'

Jedd was not human. Jedd was five-foot-five, grey-skinned and wide with muscle. His head took up about a fifth of his body and gave him the appearance of a monstrous toad.

'Not bad, baby, though I could do without the Rhaspians. They're slowly driving my customers away.'

'You want me to do something about them?'

'I wish you could, but I can't risk the bad publicity. The police will be here soon enough.'

'How's business going?'

'It's going but slowing. Unless things start to turn around, I reckon I've probably only got another year.'

'Things will turn around, you'll see.'

A wide smile suddenly spread itself across Jedd's face. 'Well, I'm certainly expecting a big night tonight. The Black Chains, baby... at my auction house! I didn't believe it until I saw them for myself. Look's like I'm now the one who owes you a favour.'

'I made you a promise, didn't I? Just tell me you've got them locked up somewhere safe.'

'Oh, don't worry about that, baby - they're getting Jedd's five-star treatment. A lot better than a centrifuge chamber, that's for sure.'

'You heard about that, huh?'

'Been laughing about it all day! You've gotta tell me how you caught them.'

'Wasn't that difficult, they practically caught themselves. What kind of interest they getting?'

'I haven't taken calls on anything else all morning. Even had the Federation contact me asking me to stop the sale.'

'You too, huh? They wanted me to take them to Carcem.'

'Of course they did. They don't like people like me profiting from their prisoners. I just wish I could sell the X1 for you, too.'

Kas tilted her head as she frowned. 'Now where did you hear about that?'

'Contacts, baby, contacts. So it is true?'

'If you heard it then I guess it must be.'

'Pah!' Jedd shook his big head in admiration. 'You really hit it big this time. An X1, baby, an X1... Well, if you don't mind, I'm afraid I've gotta go liaise with some rich pricks from Kan-Cho, as in 'Why Kan-Cho give me more money?'' Kas laughed politely as Jedd backed away. 'Catch you later, magpie.'

Kas said goodbye and headed towards the elevator. As usual, there was no queue.