Chapter 1

Rose's POV

The rooftops were slippery as my legs pounded against them. I was fast, but I knew they had the numbers. The sound of whistles terrified me as I used my speed to get away. I've been running for so long, they can't catch me now.

The Hunters have been slowly getting closer to catching me each time this happens. They've been tracking me for the past five years. I've remained in the Human Domain undetected for so long. A stroke of bad luck had finally made me a target. All it took was bumping into someone on the streets. One little mistake and my entire life's efforts were down the drain.

I jumped across from one rooftop to another. The wet concrete below my feet failed me as I landed. For a split second I slowed down to save myself from falling. Only one second! Before I could get my speed back my eyes met one of the Hunters. Usually making eye contact with me intimidates other vampires, but not today. I wore red contacts, a common eye color for vampires, hoping to get them off my trail. Clearly, it didn't work.

"She's right here! Take her down!" he called. My situation just got a whole lot worse.

Knowing running was no longer an option, I jumped off the building, dodging the bullets that would knock me out if they made contact with me. Bullets laced with bear tranquilizer are wonderful way to catch a vampire, just so you know, especially because the affects hit vampires like a truck in a matter of seconds. Gracefully landing in a clear path on the street below, I ran once again. On these nights I thanked my age for making my super speed at least five times faster than most of the Hunters, who obviously weren't as old.

I turned a corner, hoping I wouldn't pass any humans. I didn't have time to wipe anyone's memories. But my face was met with a Hunters fist, causing me to fly back. He kicked me in the stomach before I could recover, knocking me to the ground.

"Finally this ends! You were an interesting one to catch," he said, very proud of himself. Based on his uniform, which was covered in badges marking his rank, he was the leader of this little group. Six more Hunters jumped off the building, landing in perfect circle around me. All of them had guns and a knifes. My heart dropped. They were extremely prepared this time. I bared my fangs. It rattled a couple of them. I wasn't expected to be old enough to have fully grown fangs yet. Making sure no one made a move, I took out my knife. "Who said you caught me!"

Instantly, bullets came flying at me, but using my speed I dodged them, stopping right behind on of them and stabbing him in the back. Very few things could kill a vampire, but at least they would be out for a while while they healed. I stabbed three more of them, leaving only two conscious, the rest unable to move with a broken leg or pinned to the wall with a knife. One of the remaining men tried to grab me, but I grabbed my last knife, my backup knife in my boot, and nailed it into his heart. He gasped, and I took the opportunity to punch him across the face, knocking him out cold. He wouldn't survive that wound if no one got that knife out of him within the next twenty seconds, maybe thirty if he's older. But death was a part of my life. I've never hesitated to kill if its my only option. And I'm pretty damn good at it.

I made of break for it, scrambling up the ladder leading back to the rain-soaked rooftops. As I expected, there wasn't any other Hunters. The remaining Hunters would chase me again eventually, but they wouldn't be able to leave before cleaning up the bloody mess I left behind. Keeping the existence of vampires hidden took priority of one little vampire roaming the Human Domain. I slowed down for a moment. This constant chase was getting old. They haven't stopped searching for me, but fail every time they get close to discovering who I am. Did they really think they could catch-.

Bang! A bullet flew into my arm, causing me to cry out. Immediately, I started to feel drowsy. I should have known better than to let my guard down. The past couple run in with this group of Hunters were in crowded streets filled with people I could blend in with to get away. This time they isolated me--the open rooftops of a quiet city near the witching hour. They've adapted to my style and habits. I couldn't help but be slightly impressed. Slightly.

My legs turned into jello, giving the remaining Hunters the perfect moment to tackle me. I was too weak to fight, and before I knew it I had an iron collar on me, which took away my powers. Well, not fully, but they didn't need to know that. Panic began to set in when I realized I was caught. Yes, I've been cornered for trapped, but every time I was at least conscious and able to find a way out. Those options weren't available to me now as my vision began to blur. No! They can't! They won't! I feared the worst. What was my fate? Torture? Instant death? Facing him again?! I couldn't let this happen, but my exhaustion forced me to give in to the Hunters strong arms pinning me down. In the fading image in front of me, the leading Hunter whispered in my ear, his red eyes glistening. "There's nothing to fear. Rookie vampires like you are always like this. Be proud that you can finally join us."

Wait, what is he talking about? I thought. Join them? I thought-

Then it hit me like a tidal wave. My red contacts. I had never taken them off. My real eye color was concealed, which meant they had no clue who I was. They had no clue how long I have been running from others them, all following orders from the same man. They didn't know how many I've killed just to stay away from him. 

They didn't know that they had just caught the White Shadow.