Chapter 2

Reynold's POV

The room was silent, with the exception of the annoyingly loud clock at the corner of my desk. I should have burned year ago. Now its so old it's considered an antique. Things have started to fall into a routine: Paperwork, check in on the Academy and  the Basics School, meet with nagging officials acting like they wouldn't even fathom trying to overthrow me, more paperwork, and spend the remainder of the daylight hours at Fort Pax. When night comes around, there was more paperwork.

My life became less exciting when I stopped trying to chase her. I've simply accepted that she wasn't going to try to find me. She was gone, replaced with nothing but a killer hiding among the humans.

I did that.

Originally, my actions were justified. There were mindless massacres of vampires with only one person to blame. I felt responsible to end it because I was the one that started it. With every search party I sent after to her to bring her here, dead or alive, they never returned, they're bodies found with a white rose resting nearby in the Human Domain. Not every time, but often enough to notice her patten. She almost never used a gun, always a knife.

Eventually, the white roses stopped coming.When I stopped fighting, so did she. Instead, I held my ground, refusing to act for unnecessary reason, while she continued to remain hidden in the Human Domain.

"My Lord, we've recently recovered another vampire in the Human Domain. We now have enough to start training them," Albert, one of my closest friends and more trusted official, informed me.

"Great, start that immediately," I replied, but my mind couldn't seem to let another question go. As Albert walked out, I stopped him.

"Any news on the White Shadow?" I asked.

Albert stiffened. Every time that name was said, vampires did that. "No, sir, no ones had any lead on her ever since she killed Lord William." I sighed. Lord William was my most trusted Hunter. When I sent him off to find the White Shadow, his body was found a month later. That was fifty years ago, yet it still feels like it was yesterday.

"Well then, commence the training," I said. As Albert closed the door, a single tear dropped down his face. Wherever you are, Rose, I'll see you again.