Chapter 29

Rose's POV

I was hungry, but not a typical hungry. I was too scared to drink blood again. It was painful, but I was managing. I just too worried about what happened last time to try again.

People were talking to me for no reason in the Academy, especially the Ones. It was actually creepy. Abby and Rylee flourished with the new friends to talk to, while Grace and I spent most of the day hibernating in our room. It was nice to have a friend who, like me, hated attention.

Grace was scanning the newspaper, which was filled with companies that were offering jobs. While we all tried to save our money, we knew that maintaining it would be difficult. Getting jobs in our free time was the only option. Rylee had already sealed a job at a clothing store in the mall, while Abby was working on getting a job as a waitress. Grace and me? We had no clue.

"Hey, there's a cleaning service looking for people," Grace said, pointing to a tiny column in the newspaper. We both immediately started laughing. "I will never, ever, clean someone's house," I said between my laughter.

Grace continued to scan the paper, searching for something that might interest one of us. "You into animals?"

I gasped. "Yeah, why?" I asked, sounding a little too hopeful. Who am I kidding? I adore animals!

"There's a shelter a mile from here offering. Want to check it out?"

I was grabbing my jacket and purse before she could even finish.