Chapter 42

Above: Rose

Rose's POV

I quickly grabbed the knife underneath my bed when no one was looking, stuffing it in my shoe. Hey, if I was actually following through with this, I needed to defend myself. I had put on black jeans and a grey crop top, which was easy to move around in if I needed to fight, but stylish enough to be considered casual and not suspicious. Looks like Abby had taught me something about fashion after all.

"Where are you heading off to?" Rylee asked me. I shrugged. "I'm going to go for a walk. It's been a stressful week," I said.

She groaned in agreement. "Tell me about it. We're going to get something to eat if you need us."

"You're going to eat? It's almost midnight, you know," I said, tilting my head.

"Oh, well we're just getting drinks and maybe an appetizer or something."

I nodded. Rylee hovered awkwardly as if she needed something from me. "Are you feeling okay?" I asked.

She snapped out of her trance. "I'm great! See you later!" she chirped, quickly leaving. Weird.

I walked down the hallway, checking my watch. 11:59. At least I'm not late. When I got to elevator, I noticed a piece of paper taped to it: out of order. I shrugged, pressing the down button. The door swung open, where my eyes met someone else's.

Beck.

"I'm surprised you showed up," he said, sneering.

"How'd you get in my room and put that note there?" I said, furious. Of course the guy who hated me was a part of this stupid uprising.

"I have my ways," he said, winking. I rolled my eyes.

"I don't have all day, so why the hell am I here," I snapped.

He laughed. "So you're in?"

"In what?"

"Alright, you're clearly clueless. I'm part of something. Something that will change this entire Vampire Domain and eventually the Human Domain as well. We're called the-"

"Shadows. I know," I said, interrupting him.

His eyes widened. "Are you a part of it?"

"No."

"Then how do you know that?"

I smirked. "Not so clueless, am I?"

He groaned. "Well, anyway, I'm in charge of recruiting people and telling them about it. That's my job. There's only five of us doing this. If information needs to get out, where the first to know and tell everyone. The issue is, I only know a few people a part of it, and we all have limited information to keep the rest of us safe if they're caught. I guess my question is, if your not apart of it already, are you willing to join?"

"Why me? I'm kind of a random person to be asking," I replied. I was definitely not that random.

"Are you kidding me? You could take on any Hunter without an issue! Which is why we need you now more than ever," he said.

I tilted my head. "Now?"

Beck nodded. "Are you in?"