Chapter 38

Rose's POV

Drama and rumors. That's all that bubbled around me for the next two days. Most people believed the lie, while some were so disappointed that it was just a coincidence, so they made up their own stories.

"Hey, Rose," someone whispered to me in Combat. "Which one you sleeping with?"

Let's just say that kid got a good beating when I had a one-on-one with him in class.

The only people that had made contact with me were Michael and Sir Albert, mostly because I saw them every day in Combat, which was always followed by people giving me weird looks and fresh comments, but unless these annoyances were talking about something that I actually cared about and not something entirely built on lies I acted like I didn't have super hearing and kept walking.

I told my friends I quit my job because of all the gossip is created, but this made Abby extremely upset.

"I get why you did it and all, but couldn't you at least gave me an excuse to talk to Dracula before you did? Come on! Help a girl out," she whined when I told the three of them. Rylee didn't seem to care, but Grace was devastated that she would have to work with some of the highest ranking and dangerous men without someone with her. She's so reserved and shy, it makes me wonder how she is holding up in a world like this.

"I'm just saying you should at least try to befriend them. You're not working with them, but that doesn't mean you can't be friends," Abby proposed as we stood in the elevator.

"They're not exactly friendly," I said, knowing that the four of them were comfortable with their image as dangerous, even if they were actually goofballs at times.

"You just have to give them time to be comfortable around you. Who knows, maybe a relationship might blossom," she gushed, shoving me lightly. I laughed and shook my head, trying to sound less nervous than I was. This girl was discovering so many of my lies and skimming over them like a joke!

The elevator door opened, opening up to an empty hallway. Abby continued making jokes as we walked down the long hallway to our room. I unlocked the door, giggling as Abby finished her story about a kid that had fallen down the stairs on her way to class this morning. Then my eyes fell on a single rose on the kitchen counter. I picked it up, noticing the note attached:

Rose,

Maybe this was too tacky, but I couldn't help it. You deserve so much more than something so simple. I 'll meet you tonight? You know where.

Sincerely,

RCD

I smiled. Reynold still hadn't changed his charm. Before I could react, Abby snatched the rose out of my hand, reading the note. Oh no...

"Guess you don't need to flirt one of those high officials, then?" she said casually. Maybe she won't squeal this time. Did I speak too soon? "Rose! I'm so happy for you!" she shrieked, jumping on my back. My legs gave out from the shock. We were sprawled out in the floor, giggling when Rylee walked in.

"DOG PILE!" She screamed when she saw us. She jumped on top of us, making us laugh even harder. As we ran out of breath from laughed so much, Rylee saw the rose on the counter. "Who's that from?" she asked, nodding her head towards it.

Abby smirked. "Rose has an admirer she hasn't told us about."

"Really?" Rylee said. She didn't even seem surprised. Was I that obvious?

The door opened, revealing Grace, who was grinning from ear to ear. I knew she had just come from work with Michael, and Michael's pretty funny, but what made her so giddy?

"Sir Michael just asked me to dinner," she said, barely believing her own words. I gasped, so did Rylee. What did Abby do? What do you think Abby did?!

"Grace! Omg!" Abby shrieked, wrapping poor Grace in a tight bear hug. I tried to walk away, but Abby grabbed the back of my shirt and forced me to join the hug. Pretty soon, Rylee caught on and joined us. I giggled, for once feeling like I didn't have a massive target on my back, instead I was just a girl with her friends. I was nice.

Abby finally let go of us, covering her mouth with her hands. "I'm so excited for you two I'm going to scream," she said. Already did that sweetie, I might lose hearing if you do it again.

"Two of us?" Grace asked.

Abby nodded. "Rose got asked out, too! Hence the Rose on the table," she announced, motioning towards the delicate rose from Reynold once again.

Grace looked at me, almost as if she stared at me hard enough, I'd say who it is.

"She won't tell us who," Rylee added. Grace smiled, loving the thought of a secret.

"You better tell us soon," she hummed, giving me a smug grin. Yeah, in my dreams.

"Okay we have to get you girls dressed," Abby chirped, jumping up and clapping. Rylee mimicked her. Something about Rylee was off. She wasn't her usual bubbly self. I opened my mouth to ask her, but Abby dragged me away, too excited to wait for me to be ready.

*********
Sorry for the long wait, everyone! Who's excited for the romance to start? I am!