twenty one

tuesday 5:00 p.m

amalie and natalie hung out for a bit after getting breakfast together. it was now late in the afternoon and amalie decided to surprise shawn with his favourite chinese take out.

she knocked on his apartment door and waited patiently for him to answer. both of them didn't have classes today and shawn told her that he had no plans so she assumed he was at home.

however, the door opened to reveal shawn's older brother.

"oh hey nick, is shawn home?" amalie asked awkwardly reminiscing their last meeting.

nick smiled softly, "he went to the store to pick some stuff up he should be home soon. wanna come in?" he opened the door wider, enough for amalie to see a small group of people having drinks and talking.

"yeah sure, i'll wait for shawn." amalie said stepping inside the condo.

"hey guys, this is my little brother's girlfriend, amalie." nick said to his friends. they all waved at amalie and said hello.

"do you want anything to drink?" nick offered getting ready to pour her a glass of wine.

"no thank you, i uh don't drink."

"i respect that." nick said putting down the wine bottle and tossing her a bottle of water.

"i have take out if you guys want, it was supposed to be for shawn but it'll probably be cold by then." amalie said putting the food on the table.

"you are my saviour, i was about to order some pizza." nick said.

amalie smiled awkwardly in response before taking a seat on the couch to wait for shawn.

she decided to give him a call but he didn't answer.

6:30 p.m

amalie debated whether she should go home or not. she had called shawn about 5 times and he didn't answer her calls or her texts. she even called chris but he said that he wasn't with him.

nick sensed that amalie was worried about his brother, "he should be home soon, he probably stopped by somewhere."

amalie nodded not feeling reassured. what if he got into an accident? what if he ran out of gas and is stuck in the middle of the highway? what if someone kidnapped him? what if he went to the new strip club that opened last week and is cheating on me? amalie thought.

"are you sure you don't want anything?" nick asked.

"no i'm fine thanks." she replied.

7:00 p.m

half an hour later and the apartment was flooded with more of nick's friends. shawn hasn't arrived yet or called back and amalie was bored out of her mind. she was about to leave when a cheerful blonde girl sat next to her.

"who you looking for?" the girl asked.

"my boyfriend." amalie answered. that word was unfamiliar to her but it felt right.

"oh who?"

"shawn."

"oh! nick's little brother!" the girl exclaimed in realization.

amalie nodded awkwardly, "yeah him."

"he's a pretty cool guy. i've known the mendes' since we were kids. between you and me, shawn's the better mendes." the girl said before chugging her beer.

"oh yeah?" amalie chuckled.

"yeah. nick is my friend, but he's psychotic. he's sick. he killed aaliyah."

"who's aaliyah?" amalie questioned, suddenly interested in what the tipsy girl had to say.

"their little sister. he drove off a cliff with her in the car. shawn was in it too!" the girl explained.

"oh my gosh are you being serious?" amalie said in disbelief.

"yeah, shawn never told told you?"

"no-"

she cut her off, "well of course he didn't, he's not very open. he loved aaliyah more than anything, when she died, his entire life stopped. he quit touring, stopped talking to his family, to nick; hell he hates nick, but i think that's pretty obvious-"

amalie made brief eye contact with nick as she learned all this new information that shawn didn't tell her. she doesn't know whether it's true, she wants to hear it coming out of shawn's mouth. even though the girl was obviously not in the right state of mind, drunk words are sober thoughts.

nick began to walk over to her so she quickly cut off the girl from continuing the story and found something else to talk about.

"yeah i'm actually taking biology so that i can become a vet- oh hey nick, what's up?" amalie said trying to act like this random girl didn't accuse nick of murdering his little sister.

"are you ladies enjoying yourself?" he asked.

"yeah!" the blonde girl said excitedly over the loud music. "i'm gonna get a drink. hey do you want anything?"

"yeah just some apple juice, please." amalie said before turning back to nick. "i had no idea you knew so many people from nyu."

"well yeah i went there for a few months before realizing that marketing wasn't for me so i decided to take a gap year in california." nick explained. it was true, but he was leaving out a major detail about what he was doing in california.

the girl came back with some drinks and sat next to nick.

the three talked for a bit before amalie checked her phone for the time. it was already 9:00 and shawn called her twice. he also left her a text message telling her that he was at his friend ian's house and had a too many drinks to drive home.

"um so did you hear from shawn yet?" nick asked noticing the text on her phone.

"yeah he's at a friend's house. i think i'll just head home, it's getting late." amalie stood up but stumbled back into her chair. she felt a big dizzy but didn't think about it.

"hey i'm not sure you're in the right state to drive-" nick said.

"no im fine." amalie said attempting to stand back up. she fell onto her face as sleep took over her.

-

sorry for not updating in 232356 years but here's an unedited update! i'm boarding the plane soon so i'll see y'all later. love you in case i die ❤️