4 || Rowan

My bowl of Captain Crunch cereal was getting soggy but I couldn't help that my mind was anywhere but my food

My bowl of Captain Crunch cereal was getting soggy but I couldn't help that my mind was anywhere but my food. I was staring off into space out the kitchen window, replaying the entry from her journal that I read the night before. I must've read it ten times, I almost had it put to memory.

January 16th

Everytime I close my eyes I see him, everytime I close my eyes I feel his hands lingering on my body, like a parasite. Everywhere I turn I expect him to be there, watching me, waiting to take advantage of me, again, ready to violate me, again. I hate being so paranoid, but I can't help it, my thoughts take over, he takes over.

Every time I thought about what she was going through I felt physically sick to my stomach, then I thought about what my Mom went through. I shook my head and ate my soggy cereal.

"Hi sweetheart." My Mom yawned as she walked up behind me and ruffled my hair. She was still in her pajamas. "You're up early." She commented and poured herself a fresh cup of coffee.

"I was hungry." I motioned to my full bowl of cereal.

"Ah, teenage boys and their stomachs, a force to be reckoned with." I just nodded, my Mom was made of sarcasm and black coffee. "Do you have any plans today?"

"I feel a Rowan I need your help coming on." I mimicked her high pitched voice.

"You know me too well." She kissed my cheek. "You're the best!" She dragged me into doing her bidding.

"What is it this time? Do I have to hook up another computer? Or put another satellite dish on the roof? I'm not superman you know." She chuckled at my attempt to get out of it.

"Not this time my son, but I would like you to help me clean the garage." She was serious, I could tell by the look on her face. I hated cleaning. "Don't worry, I'll rope your brother in too."

I put my empty cereal bowl in the sink and headed for the stairs.

"Wake your brother up, will you?" She called after me.

"Oh I'd love to." I ran up the stairs.

"One of these days you're going to scare him to death!" I heard her say from the bottom of the stairs and threw Lachlan's door open.

"Woohoo!" I yelled and jumped on top of him. "Wake up!" Lachlan groaned and pulled a pillow over his head. "Mom says get up."

"Not cool..." He laughed and pulled the blankets over his head too.

"We have to clean out the garage." I shook him and tickled under his armpits. "Come on." I could hear him holding in his laughter. "Lachlan!"

He flung the covers off himself. "Okay, okay... I'll get up. Just give me like ten minutes, would you?"