8 || Rowan

I was intrigued by Lennon

I was intrigued by Lennon. She was so unique, yet shy and unsure of herself. Hanging out with her made the time pass by quickly. I wasn't surprised to learn we had a lot in common besides the same taste in music. We both liked to stay out of the petty drama. We both didn't like violence. I wanted to know more.

I carried my shoes in one hand and hers in the other as we walked down the beach to the diner. She walked with her feet in the water, just like I did. We both didn't mind that it was cold. I was tempted to put my wetsuit on and go surfing, the waves looked amazing.

I handed Lennon her shoes as we reached the edge of the beach. We walked to the counter to order, both pulling out our wallets. "No I got this." I smiled. She looked like she was ready to fight me on it but put her wallet back in her purse anyways. "What do you want?"

"A hamburger is fine, with fries." She told me, playing with the hem of her shirt.

"What can I get for you?" The cashier asked, very uninterested. I guess if I worked at a fast food place I would be uninterested too. His name tag read, Greg.

"Can I have two hamburgers with fries?" I ordered.

"And to drink?" Greg asked. I looked to Lennon.

"Um, water is good." She muttered and inched slightly closer to me.

"And I'll have a coke."

"Okay, comes to fourteen dollars and fifty seven cents." He informed, very matter-of-factly. I held up my debit card. "Chip in the bottom or tap." I took advantage of the tap. "Would you like your receipt."

"No thanks." I shook my head.

"You can have a seat, someone will bring your order over." I looked around and picked an empty booth. Lennon and I sat on opposite sides.

"So do you remember being friends when we were kids?" I asked, moving a fork and a knife in front of me.

"Yeah, I do. I just didn't realize you were that kid I remembered. You've really changed." She muttered, her eyes scanning over the booths around us before she relaxed.

"Yeah, aging did me some good." I laughed. "But hey, you've changed too."

"Yeah I guess." She nodded and quickly changed the subject. "I just remember we always used to go to the park and play hide and seek."

"Oh yeah!" I leaned onto the table, memories rushing back. "You always won."

"You hid in plain sight, how could I not win?" She laughed and smiled and time slowed down, just for a second.

"You were smaller, it was easier for you to find a good hiding spot." I fought, leaning back in my seat.

"You just don't want to admit I'm better at hide and seek than you." She teased and I just shook my head. "Don't deny it."