12 || Rowan

I woke up late, with my Mom shaking me awake

I woke up late, with my Mom shaking me awake. I groaned, annoyed. "Rowan, get up, you're going to be late for school." I rolled over and checked the time. It was eight twenty three, I only had ten minutes before I had to be out the door.

"Okay, okay, I'm up." I muttered, closing my eyes.

"Rowan..." My Mom warned me. "Get up." She said and closed my bedroom door behind her.

I rolled out of bed and wattled over to the mirror. I was a mess. My hair was standing up straight and my eyes were bloodshot. I immediately regretted staying up late. Quickly, I got changed and began combing through my hair. Dammit, I should have given myself more time, I swore when I realized I wasn't going to have time for breakfast. My stomach growled.

"I'll get something when I get there." I told myself and rushed out the front door with my shoelaces still untied.

The drive to school was short, especially with the radio blaring. My eyes felt heavy, I was barely awake and I probably shouldn't have been driving but I made it safely.

Walking into school all I could think about was Lennon. I wanted to see her, it was like a compulsion I felt down deep. Just see her. I was pleased, because I knew my first class was english and she would be there. She was always early and I was always late. A smile plastered my face. I had a good feeling about her, maybe she'd let me be there for her.

When I got to english class, my eyes shot straight to her desk, but she wasn't there. My heart sunk. I immediately jumped to conclusions, thinking something was wrong but I told myself there were so many reasons for her just to be late. Maybe she just slept in. So I sat down, tapping my fingers against the desk, watching the door.

She never came.

While Mr. Oliver spoke I was distracted. I half expected to see her come running in, apologizing for being late.

That never happened either.

"So you will be happy to know that I have finally finished marking your Great Gatsby projects." He held up a pile of folders. I felt like my fate with Lennon was in that folder, if we got a bad grade she'd never talk to me again. "When I call your name, either you or your partner can come up and get your folder."

People talked amongst themselves while they waited to hear their names, I on the other hand just leaned onto my desk, scribbling in my notebook.

"Zach Davidson and Ainsley Marks, Rowan Taylors and Lennon Reese, Damien Evans and Cameron Xavier..." He finally called my name. I slid my chair back and it made a loud screeching noise against the tile floor. Suddenly all eyes were on me as I walked to the front of the classroom.

I picked up our project and quietly walked back to my desk. The grade on the top was ninety seven percent, it was one of the best grades I'd gotten. I was curious as to what Lennon wrote, hers was probably what made our project do so well. I flipped to her final copy.