40 || Rowan

I watched Lennon walk from the gym

I watched Lennon walk from the gym. Her dress was beautiful and it looked amazing on her. She seemed to be doing better. She told me she’d gone to see a psychologist and it went well. I was really glad she had someone she felt like she could talk to despite the pang in my chest that it wasn’t me. I walked over to the punch bowl and poured some into two cups. I went back over to Zach’s table.

“I didn't know you were dating Lennon. When did that happen?” Zach asked, sounding astonished that we were seeing each other. “I didn’t even know you were friends.” My hands clenched into fists.

“I-” My voice caught. Out of the corner of my eye I saw Bradley ducking out of the gym. I scanned the crowd, Lennon was nowhere to be found. “I’ll be right back.”

I ignored Zach calling after me, who was confused and followed after Bradley. I promised Lennon I wouldn’t let him hurt her again and I felt like I was failing. I took my phone out of my pocket and quickly texted Lennon, making my way to the washroom.

Where are you? Bradley’s here!

I heard voices, I started walking towards them and pressed record on my phone. This was going to be the last time she had to be around him.

“You look like a peach in this dress. Purple is your color.” I heard as I got closer and my feet carried me faster. “But I’d love to see you without it.”

They came into view in a dark hallway. “Bradley!”

I put my body in between Lennon and Bradley, protectively. This has to work.

“You have to leave now!” I growled at him.

“But she wants me here.” He looked over my shoulder at lennon. “Don’t you Lennon.” My heart was pounding in my chest. She shrunk into my back and slipped her hand into my sweaty one. Bradley quickly noticed our closeness. “Have you been fooling around with my girl?” He got up in my face, but I stood my ground.

“She’s mine.” I spat, curling my empty hand into a fist.

“Have you done it with her?” He taunted. “Yeah, I didn’t think so. She’ll always be mine.”

“I don’t need to force a girl to have sex with me to make her mine.” I let my anger surge through me. Just say it Bradley.

“Force her?” He said shocked. “I didn’t force her, she enjoyed it.” A smile pulled at his lips. I wanted to punch it off his face but I held it back.

“No I didn’t!” Lennon shouted. “You drugged and raped me!”

“No, I made you agreeable and we made love in the back seat of my car!” He reached for Lennon and I pushed him back, sending him stumbling. Suddenly his fist came flying towards my face. I heard the crack as I yelped. I fell to my knees.

“Rowan!” Lennon inhaled.

I forced myself up, putting myself back as her shield. His fist came at me again but this time I saw it coming and blocked it.