36 || Rowan

Lennon hadn’t been herself after going to the police station, but I expected as much

Lennon hadn’t been herself after going to the police station, but I expected as much. I knew it wasn’t going to be easy for her to talk about it, especially in front of her mother. I was so proud of her though, she faced her fears and I knew Bradley was going to go away for the rest of his life for hurting Lennon. I wasn’t sure how I knew, I just did. Or maybe I just didn’t want to think that he would walk, because then what was the point?

Whenever we were together it was like she was millions of miles away and I just wanted to bring her back down to earth. I wished she would talk to me about whatever was going on in that pretty little head of hers. I hadn’t gotten much sleep the night before, because it was all I could think about. In my sleeplessness I came up with a plan. I wanted to give her a day where she didn’t have to worry about anything. I hoped one day she would be able to live life that way. That was the goal.

I had Lennon and I’s day all planned out. It was going to be a surprise. First I was going to take her somewhere away for a picnic, where we could feed the ducks and then we’d go to a movie theatre and see a movie she’d been talking about non stop. I hoped it would count as our first date. I had my fingers crossed that everything would go according to plan.

I went down to the kitchen and pulled out the bread, leftover chicken, lettuce and mayonaise. I had never been a good cook but I thought I’d be able to at least pull off sandwiches. Once they looked presentable I wrapped them in plastic wrap. Mom had just made a batch of her famous chocolate chip cookies so I pulled them out and put the tin on the counter. In the garage was an old basket that Mom used to pack picnics in. It was exactly what I was looking for. For once I was actually glad she was a pack rat.

I tried to think of other things I could pack. Oh drinks. I remembered and put two cans of ice tea in the basket. My phone vibrated on the table. It was Lennon.

Hey, what time are you picking me up?

I smiled. She remembered our plans. I checked the time, it was almost ten.

I’ll pick you up in a half hour :)

I pressed send and watched it go from delivered to read. The picnic was packed, all I had to do was get dressed. My Mom came into the kitchen, yawning.

“You were up early.” She pointed out, starting to make a pot of coffee.

“Yeah, I’m taking Lennon out.” I muttered, as she noticed the picnic basket.

“I haven’t seen that in a while. A picnic will be fun, very romantic.” Mom winked. I just rolled my eyes at her. “You never know.”

“I don’t expect anything to happen.” I told her and earned a pat on the back.

“I know, you’re a good guy Rowan.”

I yawned and glanced over at the coffee. “Can I have some of that?” I asked, watching the coffee drip down into the pot. I’d only ever drank it once, when I pulled an all nighter to study for an exam. I hated the taste of it but drank it anyway to stay awake.