26 || Rowan

I held Lennon as she cried, but all I could think about was what I was going to do to Bradley the next time I saw him

I held Lennon as she cried, but all I could think about was what I was going to do to Bradley the next time I saw him. Her hands clung to my shirt. Her head rested on my chest. Anger surged through me, as I rubbed her back. I was angry at Bradley and I was angry at myself, for letting it get this far. I couldn't stop thinking of her pain, the pain Bradley had caused her. For months I had thought about what I would do when I finally found out who it was that hurt her and now that I knew, there wasn't a doubt in my mind of what I was going to do, it was a matter of when and where.

"Shh..." I muttered and kissed the top of her head. "You'll be okay, I'll make sure of it." I promised.

We sat there for a while, in silence. I just held her, as slowly her breathing returned to normal. Her sad eyes lifted to meet mine, filled with tears that were about to spill over and follow the tear stains on her cheeks. I opened my mouth, about to say something when she jumped up out of my lap.

"I-I'm sorry, I didn't mean to..." She stuttered, wrapping her arms around herself.

I stood up slowly, putting aside my anger just for a moment. I didn't want to scare her. "You don't need to be scared of me Lennon. You shouldn't have to be scared of anyone."

"Rowan..." She shook her head.

"I'm here, for whatever you need." I took a deep breath.

"I-I know."

A baby's crying filled the room, I'd forgotten we were babysitting. Dakota was awake from his nap. Lennon looked to the stairs.

"I should..." She pointed to his room at the top of the stairs.

"Yeah." I nodded and watched as she walked to Dakota's room. I turned back into the living room. What was I going to do? The pressure on my shoulders was a thousand times heavier now that I knew who did it. He couldn't get away with hurting her. I wouldn't let that happen.

I checked my phone. It was close to five o'clock. I picked up my backpack and my books.

"He's hungry, no wonder, it's almost supper." She stopped at the bottom of the stairs, holding Dakota in her arms. She was looking at me confused. "Rowan?"

"It's getting late, I should go." I gulped and swung my bag up onto my back. I started walking towards the door.

"Rowan..." She grabbed my hand. "You're not going to do anything, are you?" Lennon asked me, with a pleading look on her face like she knew exactly what I was thinking. I shook my head. "Promise me you won't do anything stupid."

"I'm not going to do anything stupid." I assured her. "Promise."

"Okay... Good..." She sighed, but she still looked worried.

"I won't, not unless you want me to." I squeezed her hand. "You going to be okay?"

"Yeah, always am." She forced a smile. I didn't believe her but I nodded anyway. "Get going then." She shooed, laughing.