34 || Rowan

I pulled into my driveway just as the clock changed to three o’clock in the morning

I pulled into my driveway just as the clock changed to three o’clock in the morning. I yawned, but I knew the second I put my head down on my pillow, I wasn’t going to be able to fall asleep. There was too much on my mind. I pulled out my phone and texted Lennon.

Hey, I’m home. Hope everything went alright with Raven. How are you doing?

I sighed and fiddled with the key in the lock, jiggling it around until it turned. I pushed the door open and trudged up the stairs. All of the lights were off, so I was careful not to wake anyone up. I threw myself down on my bed and looked at my phone, expecting an answer from Lennon, but there was nothing. I struggled it off. It had only been a few minutes, I thought maybe she had to have a talk with Raven.

I saw Bradley at the party, I just hoped Lennon hadn’t seen him but I was still worried. The pale, exasperated look on her face when I had found her by the bushes was stuck on my mind, but I didn’t know if it was because she was at a party for the first time since her rape, or because of Bradley. I just needed to know she was okay. I couldn’t help but worry about her even more after the panic attack she had.

I put in my headphones and pressed shuffle on my regular playlist, I needed to distract myself. I closed my eyes and laid my phone down on my chest, waiting to hear something from Lennon.

I checked my phone again. Five more minutes had gone by and still nothing. The message said it had been delivered but not read. I didn’t want to sound paranoid by texting her again or overprotective but usually she was pretty quick at responding. Her phone never left her side.  

I gave in and texted. Just let me know that everything’s okay. Call me if you need anything. I hit send and watched the message change to delivered.

I sighed and tapped my fingers against my chest to the beat of the song. It wasn’t helping keep my mind off her. I just had this feeling in the pit of my stomach that something was wrong and I couldn’t shake it. Maybe she’s asleep, I thought but I immediately shook my head. If I couldn’t sleep then I knew she wouldn’t have been able to either. I watched the clock as one minute went by, then two and then ten.

I debated going back over to her house and checking on her. I didn’t want to be that person that was constantly worried, constantly checking in, but I felt like I was right to worry. After my Dad died my biggest fear was to lose someone else that I loved. Is it bad that I feel like I love her already? Is it wrong to worry about her?

I heard a knock on my door and my Mom stepped in, wearing her bathrobe. “I just got up to use the washroom and I saw your light on. Is everything okay?” She asked.

“Just worried about Lennon…” I muttered. She sighed and came in, closing the door behind her.

“What’s going on?” She sat down on the end of my bed.