5. Captivating Smile

(Forth's POV)

"Do you really think you're done with your obligation because the biggest event in this campus was already over? Do you really think you could just neglect everything we've taught you after it? Look! Look at this! This gear symbolizes our faculty. It's also a sign that we're accepting you as our juniors. Tell me, have you received your gear?"

"Not yet, P'Kong."

"I couldn't hear you. Louder!"

"Not yet, P'Kong!"

Our SOTUS leader, P'Kong nods in satisfaction.

"So, will you be neglecting your duties once again?"

"No krub!" we all shout.

"Will you still be disrespectful to your seniors by making them wait for you?"

"No krub!"

"So, if you're really regretting what you've done today, are you willing to do 100 sit-ups together?"

"Yes krub!"

And we start doing sit-ups while holding each other.

Yes, this is what greeted me after I won as first place campus moon - Seniors punishing us, the freshmen for our careless act this day.

We know that we haven't gotten to the last part of this SOTUS* but we chose to be lax since we thought that our faculty won in the competition, these seniors would be slacked. Hence, instead of coming on the exact time of our meeting like they've trained us to do, we came 10 minutes later.

When we arrived, they were waiting like a vulture ready to grab its prey. Unfortunately, we were their preys...

They immediately lined us up without even congratulating me for winning, and started shouting at us.

Sometimes, I thought of escaping this meeting, but my fellow freshmen would be getting in more trouble if one of us was gone.

Last time, before the competition, a group of 5 freshmen didn't attend the meeting. All of us was punished by running 5 laps on the wide field for not looking after our friends. They wanted us to call everyone in our batch as our friends.

I wasn't against our practice. They've been doing it for so many years. It's like a tradition to every Engineering faculty in all universities. I think, it creates a strong bond within our faculty. Yes, the seniors tended to abuse their power over their juniors, however looking into a larger picture, it has a lot of advantages.

"Shout altogether! You're one with this punishment as you all united to neglect your duties!"

We all shout on top of our lungs.

"96, 97, 98, 99, 100!"

Someone almost falls to the ground, but because we're holding each other, he is able to get a support. A standby medic comes to help their new patient.

"Good. You may sit down but don't forget to still hold unto your friends."

We follow P'Kong's order.

"By the way, you might be thinking I was too cruel for not congratulating our moon for winning first place last Friday. Instead, we gave him a hard time... Student number 0147, Forth!"

I stand up.

"You did a great job. Congratulations."

It may sound like he's just forced to, but to tell you honestly, P'Kongpob is the sincerest senior I know. Although he rarely smile because he has to uphold his reputation as the hazing leader.