41. What I can do

(Beam)

Never in my life I feel so frightened of. I'm usually the stubborn one who never backs down at anyone. People know not to mess up with me because once they do, I'll never let them off the hook without a vengeance.

Nonetheless, being in Mr. Jatu's presence, takes away all my boldness as he looks at me with those sharp eyes.

I am all frozen in my place, unable to know what to do. It seems like every nerve of my brain has ceased functioning.

"What are you doing here?" Mr. Jatu repeats his question.

It startles the hell out of me, but I try my best to hide it. So, I wai him instead, and to his wife.

"Sawadee khap..."

It's just that, they seem not to be amused with my greetings, particularly the middle-aged man as his eyebrow lifts up. It's a simple gesture I usually see with my friends and the others. But with him doing it, it feels like I did a grave mistake (Well, technically speaking, I did :( ) and he's about to bury me alive.

I am about to explain my side before I reach his limits when Ree beats me to it.

"Pa! P'Beam brought me here. He was just around the area when I had my allergic attack. He saved me."

"I'm not talking to you, Mayuree." His calm but cold tone shuts the chatty girl without turning his death glare away from me. I guess, if we're not in the hospital or any crowded area, he would surely attack me, and pull the life out of me. 

Now, do you get why I can't do what Forth has done to convince my father? His father is a hundredth times scarier than mine. 

Then he says, "I heard you're a doctor so it's only natural to save people in need. What I wonder is why you're still sticking your nose at my daughter? I can perfectly recall, I told you to stay away from my family. You've already stolen my son. What more do you want?"

That... pricks to the core, and makes me feel crappier than I already am.

I know how much they hate me since the day they found out about US. But, I have tried to hide their hatred within myself. To pretend it never happened just to be with Forth. Yes, I became selfish as I took him for myself... 

because deep inside my heart, I hope... I am hoping that they'll get to understand our love and accept us eventually.  

However, it seems like I'm just delusional for in their point of view of this story, I will always be the evil guy who snatches away their precious son, and destroys their perfect family picture.

Hence, when he said that I should go since my presence was not needed and would never be, I follow him like an obedient kid with my eyes fixed on the white floor. I didn't even bother to look at Ree to bid my goodbye because I can feel Mr. Jatu wants me out immediately...

And if it even possible, permanently out of their lives...

Until I am halted on my way by that overly familiar strong yet gentle hand wrapped around my wrist. Followed by that deep baritone voice which soothes away all the crappiness I felt in an instant.

"You're not going anywhere," Forth says.

I look up and meet his tender eyes. He gives me a smile while tightening his grip as if sending me strengths and assurances, before he turns to his father and matches his stern face.