36. Coming back

(Forth)

"Forth!" Pete calls as he approaches me at the parking lot of the hospital. "You're early today."

"I finish my work early," I briefly explain after I wai him, and without beating around the bush, I ask the real purpose of my visitation, "how's Beam?"

Pete suddenly looks hurt, in a playful way. " Aww, Forth. You could at least pretend that you're here for me, or you're also concerned about my life, and not just your informant. Seriously, if you're not my friend, I'll never help you."

I flash an apologetic smile. Obviously, he's just joking, yet I can't help to be feeling guilty. It feels like I am really just using him for my own benefits, but believe it or not, I am not. I do care about Pete. He's my friend after all. However, at this very moment, there's only one person who I am so worried about: Beam.

Ever since that unfortunate event, he hasn't back to his normal state. Yes, he's coming to the hospital, and attending to his other patients as if nothing happened, but in reality, he's still in grief. He even refused to talk with his best friends who immediately tried to cheer him up the moment they heard about the situation. No matter what they do, he'd just be masking himself to a smiling Beam everybody knows.

As for me, I thought it would be better if I would give him time on his own. On that same day, I called his dad to tell him of our condition like what I always do after he has given us his consent to live together. His father is the only person, I thought, could comfort him. Also, I don't think Beam would want to stay in our home (not that he's blaming me, but I wish he did rather than being like this), hence he is taking residence at his father's house until he's ready to be back at our home.

But it doesn't mean I'll just wait and comfortably sit back. I can't do it, knowing the most important person in my life is in sorrow.

I'm still watching over him, even from afar, and through his father and my childhood friend, Pete. That's why I am so grateful to the both of them, especially to Pete who, in the first place, has gotten nothing to do with it, yet he's still helping. He's making sure that Beam will not get a chance to use their work as an excuse to wallow in misery and forget about taking care of himself. Then, every after their shift, Pete will tell me his state.

"Frankly, Forth. You don't have to be bothered so much. Doc Beam is stronger than you think he is. Nong Lily is his first patient to die. When it happened to me, it also took me several days to recover. Time will come, he'll be able to overcome it," Pete says after he has reported that Beam is now laughing with their jokes which he would just weakly smile before. Though there were still few times he can be found spacing out in his station, I suppose it's a first good sign that he's somehow getting back to his normal state, and better.

I mutter my sincerest gratitude as I really don't know what would I do without Pete since it's also impossible for Pha and Kit to watch over their best friend because of different residences and schedule.

"Don't thank me. I won't be leaving a baht in your bank account once I get my payment after all of this," he sniggers before he takes his leave. Of course, he doesn't mean it. He just wants to tease me to ease up my feelings.

Pete wants to stay longer, to accompany me as I wait for Beam to sign out. However, he has another appointment for today, so he left me at the parking lot...

I sit on my motorbike. I haven't used it for quite some time after I got into a petty accident a year ago. I only had few bruises on my forearm and knees, but Beam was so worried, he doesn't allow me to use my bike again. So, I was forced to buy a four-wheel instead. But since the day he became so lost, I dare to go against his will for it's easier to trail after him without being seen. It's the least thing I can do, but also the only I can do, right now....