Lost Years (Part 3)

A/N: Third part, more to come. How much more? I can't say for sure. Anyways, sorry I haven't been posting for a while, I've been pretty distracted. Hope you like this part!

Warning: insecure and unsure Bucky. Is that worthy of a warning? I think yes. ALSO, some Bucky and Ava being cute.

A couple of weeks went by and Ava had completely warmed up to Bucky. They were getting along so well. Bucky had even spent some time alone with her while you were out with friends. The Avengers had met her, fallen in love with her immediately. She was getting along with all of them so well, it warmed Bucky's heart.

Whenever he said the words "my daughter" he couldn't help but smile. It was like Ava was the missing piece in Bucky's life. He found himself missing her when she wasn't around. If he was away on a mission, he called you and asked to speak to Ava. Of course she couldn't speak too well, being one year old and all, but still, hearing her babble through the speaker was something that could make his day no matter how terrible it had been.

He found himself longing to hear your voice as well but never dared to admit it. You and him were still very cautious around one another. You weren't sure how to act in the other's presence. You two had history but you had not talked about your current situation. So far, the way you saw it was that he was the father of your child and you really wanted them to get along. Both Ava and Bucky deserved it. Ava deserved to have both of her parents in her life and Bucky deserved to have his one and only child in his. You had not thought about having Bucky in yours.

The truth was, you had believed you had gotten over Bucky. You hadn't seen him in two years and had thought you'd never get to see him again. You had been fine, having cute little Ava all to yourself, having a steady job that gave you the opportunity to work from home, a decently paid one at that. Everything in your life had been great, you had figured everything out but then a certain man with a metal arm had showed up at a park while you and Ava were having a little outing with a friend of yours, and suddenly your whole world came tumbling down.

You had once believed Bucky was the love of your life. Sure the night you had been intimate with him was the first and last day you showed each other how you really felt but the night had been so magical, you knew what the two of you had was something special.

There was still some tension between the two of you, anyone could see and feel it. You were sure even Ava could tell when the air between you and Bucky was getting tense. She always looked between the two of you and somehow found something to draw in both of your attentions. She was very smart for someone who was only a year old. But then again, people say babies can sense other's feelings better than you'd think.

You were currently in the elevator with Ava in your arms while waiting to drop her off for a day with Bucky. You had a friend's bachelorette party which was starting already in the afternoon. You had a long day ahead of you and you were more than happy to hand Ava to Bucky. The two got along very well and after all, he was her father.

"Are you excited?" You asked Ava while rocking her slightly. "Excited to spend the whole day with the Avengers?"

Ava didn't answer. She kept sucking on the pacifier while grasping onto your blouse very tightly. She had fallen asleep in the car, she was a little clingy.

"Come on, sweetie," you whispered while kissing the top of her head. "Please cheer up. We don't want you to get cranky with them, do we?" You tickled her side slightly only to hear an exclaim as a protest. She even let out a couple of fake sobs, something that she had learned to do. You apologized quietly and waited for the elevator to reach the floor you had pressed a button for.