19- "Nowhere Else To Go."

I woke with a slight sweat all over my body. I didn't recall having a nightmare during the night, my usual reason for waking up with my nightgown stuck to me, but once I opened my eyes and looked out the window I knew why.

Steam was drifting in the air, the sun blazing down. Summer was all I could think as Alicia walked in and groaned.

"I hate the heat," She walked over and threw open the doors leading out to the balcony. She stuck her head out, looked right then left, then pulled her head back in, "Its just so," She shuddered as she closed the doors. "Ew."

I yawned. "And why would you say something like that Alicia?"

She gestured to her hair. It was extremely frizzy, a tangled mess on top of her head. "My hair!" She whined.

"Oh hush hush," Justine walked out of the walk-in robe. "You could be living in a province that has snow most of the year." She placed the dress she was holding on the edge of the bed. I didn't get to look at it. "It rarely rains here."

Alicia threw her hands up. "Exactly!"

Hazel then bustled into the bedroom from the bathroom. Her hair was extra frizzy today too. "It's been summer for a week and a bit now."

Alicia shrugged. "And? It hasn't been this hot since last summer"

I rolled my eyes and got up from the bed. "I think I'll have a shower today. Is that alright?"

Hazel nodded and walked me to the bathroom. She helped peel off my nightgown from my body and I stepped into the shower.

After washing all the hots summers night off my skin, I stepped out of the shower and into a fluffy towel.

"How were your brothers, miss?" Justine asked.

I sighed. "Oh, annoying as ever," I smiled at her in the mirror. She was working on my hair with Hazel. Alicia was in the bedroom complaining about the heat. "But I can't express in words how happy I am that they'll be okay. Even Helen."

"Who's Helen? If you don't mind me asking, miss."

Hazel widened her eyes and shook her head at Justine.

"It's okay, Hazel," I waved her away. "Helens my stepmother." I scrunched up my face. "She's not very nice."

Justine nodded her head. "Yes, I know what you mean, miss. My stepfather treats me like I'm invisible. That's why I left."

I opened my mouth a little in surprise. These girls have been so kind and caring towards me. They've been so helpful and are always there to listen to me and I don't know anything about them. I don't even know Alicia and Justine's last names.

"Tell me about yourself, Justine. You know all about me and look after me, I don't know anything about you!"

She smiled at me. "I'm just your maid, miss. Nothing more than that."

"Oh, don't be silly! You're becoming a great friend. Don't think so badly of yourself."

She smiled shyly at me. "How about after your photos with Prince Percy? I can tell you my life story then."

I smiled widely up at her. "I would enjoy that, thank you."

After being dressed and having a light coat of makeup put on I was ready to go. Go and get fancy photos taken, that is

On top of my head was a loose crown of plaits, coming to the back of my hair, falling in with the rest of the flowing curls down my back. My shoes were the same white as the dress and had a small buckle around my ankle. I had on the usual jewellery and the dress fitted me well. There was a white band around my waist and from that, the dress puffed out. It went to my knees and the neckline was like a shirt. I loved it.