9

Zelda was thoroughly at the end of her rope. She had been informed of the new addition, Link, joining the group of Champions the day (Y/n) brought him back to the castle.

That was the thing that made her incredibly frustrated, they were both absurdly talented individuals. Zelda was at a loss when her and (Y/n)'s two person group gained another member. Link was dumped on them without notice, expected to learn anything he could from (Y/n)'s knowledgeable mind. Nothing could have prepared the princess for the jealously embedding into her heart as she observed (Y/n) mentor the Master Sword's chosen one. It seemed like she was the only one stuck in time, unable to move forward and access something she had always been told was her birthright.

But, as Zelda squeezed her body through the castle's eerie secret passage ways that were covered in cobwebs with Link on her heel, she felt a sense of thankfulness that the swordsman was accompanying her.

After tumbling through the darkness for what seemed like forever, the two came to the end of the maze-like passage, and Zelda pressed a hand against the worn, hidden door, revealing a small sliver of the Chamber of Equity on the other side. Her diligent eyes scanned the room for (Y/n), finding the girl standing with her older sister.

Zelda's eyesight was hindered by the distance between herself and them, but she was still able to recognize who was who.

Link peered over Zelda's shoulder to gain a better view of what he was seeing, and what both of them heard and saw sent their hearts into a frenzy.

The young princess had gone through many fearsome things in her short life. Whether those things were clutching onto her mother's limp hand her as the frail woman withered away to nothing but skin and bones, hopelessly weeping over her nonexistent sealing magic, or holding onto (Y/n) after her close encounter with death at Zora's Domain.

Zelda thought she had seen everything. Yet, watching her best friend being accused of planning to overthrow her father was almost more than the princess could bear. 

The punch thrown at (Y/n)'s jaw had Zelda disbelievingly slapping a hand over her mouth, preventing herself from crying out to her friend.

Yes, Zelda thought she had seen everything, but never before had the young princess witnessed someone she loved with all her heart, someone she considered her sister, be tackled to the floor by her own comrades – the commotion almost drowning out (Y/n)'s rage induced cursing.

This can't be right. (Y/n) would never do such a thing. . . would she. . .?

Granted, (Y/n) bore all of her responsibilities with an indifferent attitude. That didn't make the Sheikah girl this cold-hearted conspirator Zelda's father and the rest of the Royal Council were making her out to be.

And, even if that were true, what about Impa and Purah? Her father was having them arrested for being connected to (Y/n) through blood and off baseless assumptions just because of proof from one person.

This is awful. . . I refuse to believe (Y/n) could be this conniving. . . During all of the hardships in my life, (Y/n) never turned her back on me when I needed her most.

Zelda couldn't peel her horrified, emerald eyes off the scene in front of her. Chancellor Ven's disregard for personal space grated against her nerves. He was way too close to (Y/n). Not only that, but Zelda felt as if the very embodiment of evil had crawled inside the castle. She couldn't place just what the feeling was, though she was smart enough to piece together that Chancellor Ven may have something to do with it.