15

Inhale.

Darkness entrenched upon his apathetic subconscious, a weightlessness engulfing him in an area where the fluid current of time held absolutely zero power. No clouded thoughts plagued his clear head, nor did any disturbed feelings taint the neutral beating of his heart. Yet, he was consciously aware of every stable expansion and contraction of his chest, allowing oxygen to weave facilely through his lungs, gifting him a revitalizing breath of life.

Exhale.

Meanwhile, a cool caress folded over his bare body, its silken properties relaxing. Quite similar to rhythmic ocean currents diligently smoothing old stone and seashells to create repaired entities free from their past, roughened state.

As the young man unrestrictedly floated amongst the immeasurable depths, blissfully unaware of the amassing turmoil beyond his cage, he stayed unafraid of this stagnant dimension containing endless isolation. It was entirely peaceful. An abyss that erased worries and doubts.

Inhale.

Then, an alien sensation tickled at the back of his skull, gentle as a feather, but strangely desperate. A queer platinum ball of light suddenly appeared out of obscurity, discharging in bright flashes accompanied by a muffled noise. Although this peculiar situation perhaps should have unnerved him in some fashion, he wasn't alarmed the slightest bit.

". . . Open your eyes. . ."

A soft, feminine voice resonated within his cranium, a wistful plea lacing her words before the blinding glow became overwhelming to the extent it filled his vision completely.

"Open your eyes. . ." She repeated once more. "Open your eyes." This time, her soft voice spoke coherently. Somehow he listened to her request, the rude awakening startling him from a compulsory slumber.

Slowly, his eyelids raised indolently, vision overcast by a bothersome haze. Through the dense blur, he had the ability to observe cobalt patterns etched almost childishly into practically every available surface. Glaring unto his immobile form, a complex, stalactite arrangement hung from the towering ceiling above him. The outer circumference resembled flower petals by their round curvature, but the inside showed constellations unidentifiable to him.

"Wake up, Link."

Said young man weakly sighed in response, blinking multiple times as he tried ridding of any remaining exhaustion. But he was genuinely befuddled, observing his otherworldly surroundings. Great jutting pillars, irregularly styled by big swirls, encircled the spot in which he lay, hefting the massive weight of this dome-shaped room.

Swaddled in a watery cocoon, he vaguely wondered where exactly he rested. Whatever the case may entail, he needed to solve this mystery. When he attempted accessing his memory bank, blankness occupied it – to his absolute horror – and not in the regard that he was experiencing the bizarre phenomenon preventing him from remembering information due to lasting aftereffects of sleep. Search as he might, emptiness is all he frustratingly obtained.

Why. . . can't I remember anything?

One thing was certain, though. The name Link stuck with him, realizing the title definitely had sentimental value because it belonged to him. As Link continued sorting his meager thoughts, he faintly heard sloshing nearby. Careless, Link's gaze wandered toward the sound, his skin erupting in shocked goosebumps.

The indistinct profile of an individual had their arm and head lounging parallel to the basin's rim he was situated within, leisurely circling their index finger in bored loops, messing with the healing liquid.