12

The discordant cadence of her heart slowly beat within her chest, punching her ribcage weakly after each mournful thump. Her blank irises stared ahead, lost in a perpetual state of paralyzation.

She was alive, but her mother. . . (Y/n) unconsciously clenched her fists tighter, expecting to feel warmth running across the palms of her hands – an indicator that this wasn't real. Coldness harshly and compressedly squeezed her instead, the hand she was holding onto limp and slick with freshly spilt blood. It hit (Y/n) full force then, tears springing to her eyes. She let them flow, indifferent, but so utterly conflicted internally.

The first one trickled down (Y/n)'s face on a lone path, writing its tragic tale on her emotionless face, acting as a direct trigger for the rest to follow suit. Each pained intake of air was a reminder of what she had done, of the air she had so heartlessly stolen from another, the guilt pumping through her veins like that of a ravenous disease infecting her with grief.

Vira's confession rang in her ears, eating away at her conscious. The truth (Y/n) had sought her entire life was now destroying everything in her small world. She thought of her childhood and the outcome it had on her development into the person she was today. Into the person she hated being.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Once upon a time, there lived a girl named (Y/n) whose heart bled benevolence, her constitution one of frailty. The physical features of her body were extremely weak compared to other children her age, preventing her from participating in normal activities. Still, she gifted Hyrule with small smiles and a selfless helping hand. Though her eyes were darker than the coldest hours of twilight, her imagination was wild and filled to the brim with ideas no one could begin to try and match against her unparalleled genius.

A prodigy they called her – the people of her tribe that is – praising her as the one who would lead a new generation into an equally new Hyrule.

It was in this thoughtless declaration that the citizens of Castle Town carefully regarded (Y/n) and her mysterious tribe closer than what they had previously. It was one thing to accept the abrupt influx of these strangers from the Sheikah tribe entering their home, but to speak such outlandish claims about a child of questionable intent was preposterous. Yes, they were skeptical of a child, but existing in wary times inside a kingdom on the brink of war, no one could be too cautious.

Once curious, now misunderstanding the child, those living outside (Y/n)'s tribe went out of their way to avoid the young girl whenever she was near. They disregarded her entirely like she were a ghost with the exception of cruelly glaring in her direction. As if wishing their soundless hostility would somehow harm clueless (Y/n). Kill her, even. Anything to keep her liveliness at bay. They were so terrified at the prospect of her clever visions coming to life that the spiteful united in an attempt to shove their hateful opinions into the girl's childish, impressionable mind, refusing to understand the impact their choice of words had on a child her age.

(Y/n)'s parents, Vira and Atticus, were another story. They were seen as respected individuals possessing distinguished reputations, putting them on a high, social pedestal within the kingdom. That's how they were perceived by outsiders of the Sheikah tribe. Anyone active in the community placed them in a different light entirely – a light that exposed them as brutally malicious, but the Sheikah hadn't the power available to overthrow their Archons.

Unfortunately for (Y/n), that meant receiving disdain from either side, stuck in the middle. What bothered her most was the fact her own brothers and sisters from the tribe in which she resided disliked anything that had to do with her family, but she couldn't blame them, not really.