19

Sweat dampened (Y/n)'s clothes, and she breathlessly grunted, tiredly kneeling so her companion could shimmy off her aching back.

"You're getting too heavy for me to lug around, Areus." Ignoring the disgruntled gasp from said boy, (Y/n) sat on the ledge of the fortress' towering wall. (Y/n)'s intelligent, obsidian irises didn't miss anything, content with watching everything beyond silently.

Below, Gatepost Town bustled with jubilant activity, ordinary citizens and knights going about completing their daily activities. People arrived and departed as dusk began descending upon the rich provinces of Hyrule Kingdom. Behind them, the Great Plateau eased into an early slumber, its residents, the Sheikahn, preparing for their planned move tomorrow.

Both monks and nuns, now regular Sheikah Tribe members, completed their training and wished for a simpler lifestyle as scholars or healers – their lack of a violent nature opposing employment of the fighting sort. (Y/n)'s parents, as leaders, were responsible for making sure their people received guidance to their new home. In addition to that, these people were medicinal geniuses, which is who restored (Y/n)'s vitality with healing ceremonies – today being her final one, thankfully.

See, academic curriculum for the Sheikah Tribe was a tad different. Special. Some dedicated their life to becoming the tribe's determined soldiers – those called upon if Hyrule was in need of armed reinforcements – but then there were additional men and woman who preferred a more peaceful role. Most were classified as monks or nuns, praying, healing, and ever watchful of the spiritual Temple of Time. Ah yes, the monumental holy sanctuary, such a legendary marvel where celebratory festivities were held – a place of serene worship in which worthy protégés got selected to carry out the Goddesses unrelenting will. The custom was centuries old, but nonetheless, five special individuals, usually children, get honorably picked after reciting a clause to the ivory Goddess statue within.

Upon awakening the following morning, those approved of had the symbolic mark of the Sheikah insignia branded (they disappeared later) to their forehead. Quite promptly, the chosen were relocated to study at four distinguished abbeys spread across the Great Plateau, all on the opposite ends of a compass: East, West, North, and South. This group of devout Sheikahn lived in seclusion under religious vows until they graduated, becoming elders of the Sheikah Tribe because their knowledge was unparalleled. The Elder Council, the annoying old gasbags they irritably happened to be, collected the five graduated students and then taught them the rules and regulations governing their remarkable civilization. If one of the members on the council unexpectedly passed, it was as simple as replacing them with a student no matter how young they tended to be sometimes. To put it in perspective, anyone could learn these sacred teachings, but only a handful, at any given time, that showed spiritual promise from a young age studied under dedicated teachers for an unfixed amount of time since each abbey was a new level of difficulty.

(Y/n) overheard her older cousin, Impa, was in the process of finishing even though she was turning ten. Purah, on the other hand, completely shied away from anything religious, loving her research instead, also liking a good spar against fellow tribesmen and tribeswomen as she was kind but an extremely gifted fighter as well.

A noteworthy bit of information to consider, however, was that the entirety of the Sheikah Tribe used to inhabit the Great Plateau, but overpopulation a couple of years ago pushed half of the tribe to two new locations. One such place was Castle Town, the King and Queen welcoming the kingdom's shadowy protectors after hearing of their predicament, especially because the two charitable monarchs were great friends with the tribe's leaders.