0.7

Seven: The Problem With Caring

"Holy fuc-"

"Language!" I hissed, dragging Wendy with me down the hall to my locker, whipping her beside it as I put in my code.

"I'm sorry, but that's damn adorable! I can't believe Parker did all that for you. He's smitten," she giggled, leaning against the metal.

"He is not smitten, he was helping out a friend," I groaned, knowing she would jump to conclusions about the whole 'Peter taking care of my illness' situation.

"Josephine, he likes you!" She giggled, shoving my shoulder lightly.

"Okay, get that out of your mind right now," I said dryly, slamming my locker closed and leaning against it as well.

"How blind can you be? The boy stood up to Flash for you after a single glance, he took a large beating from a creep on the subway without even knowing your name, and he took you home and aided you back to health after a week of knowing you. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't do that for someone I didn't have the hots for," she faced me as my eyes danced around the floor.

"Wendy-"

"No, I refuse to let you throw away a guy like Peter. He's so good to you, Jo, and you've only known him a few weeks. He's crazy for you, I can tell. And you like him too. Don't even deny it; I'm your best friend and I know everything about you. Stop putting up these sarcastic walls and just let the damn boy in for a change," she groaned, and my I felt my heart ache at her words.

It's true. I didn't let many people in, but for some reason I really wanted to let Peter in. He seemed so.. unusual. Like no one I have met before. Sure, he was a little shy, but I could see a change in him already. Now I just needed to change.

"You're right. And I hate it when you're right," I sighed, listening to the first bell ring, telling us we have five minutes to get to class.

"I'm almost always right," she floated, a small skip in her step as she headed to calculus.

I suddenly saw Peter's familiar mop of hair and punny science t-shirt through the crowd and waved goodbye to Wendy, deciding to take her advice.

"Hey, stranger," I walked up beside him, but he kept his head down and nodded in response. This caused a small frown on my face.

"Uh, hello? Peter?" I asked. He still didn't lift his head, just kept walking beside me with a grunt.

"Peter fricking Parker, you better-" I cut myself off with a gasp as I saw his face.

There was a freshly purple bruise on his cheek and a cut on his eyebrow.

"Jesus, Peter. What happened to you?" I asked, jumping in front of him to stop his walking and lift up his head.

"It's nothing, Jo. I'm okay, I have to get to class," he attempted to push past me but I was having none of it.

"No, Parker, you're going to tell me what happened and you're going to tell me now," I growled, forcefully grabbing his shoulders.

"Just drop it, please," he begged.

"No, I want to know why you're so secretive about this. What's the big deal?" I started getting frustrated, not understanding why he had to hide this from me.

"Why does it matter to you? Huh? I barely know you, why do you even care?!" He burst out at me, flinging my arms off of him with such force that it actually hurt.

I took a large step back, hurt and fear clouding my vision as I stared at the boy who I thought I knew. I could see him lose his anger and melt into worry, taking a step towards me. I took another step back.

"Jo, I'm sorry-"

"No," I interrupted, stopping his hand from reaching out to me.

"If this is what I get for caring about you, then I don't want to anymore," I scoffed, turning around and walking away.

"Jo! Wait!" He called, trying to catch up with me.

"Leave me alone, Parker. I don't hang around people who don't trust me," I spat back at him, and he stopped, letting me walk away in frustration and disappointment.

OOH LA LA SOME FRUSTRATION GOING ON HERE WHAT WHAT

PETER Y U NO TELL HER UR SECRETTTTTTTT OKAY HAVE A GOOD DAY BYE