1.0

Ten: Confessions

I laid back on my couch, grabbing the popcorn I had made and prepping myself for a night of movies and relaxing

I laid back on my couch, grabbing the popcorn I had made and prepping myself for a night of movies and relaxing. I didn't have to avoid Peter at all today, because he and Ned went to the Academic Decathlon in Washington overnight.

I turned on the TV, about to switch to Netflix when a news article caught my eye.

"Students from Queen's own Midtown School of Science and Technology got quite the surprise after winning their Academic Decathlon today. The group of students decided to celebrate by venturing through the Washington Monument, only to have a freak explosion put a damper on their fun. The elevator almost dropped the students, but not before Queen's super-spandex hero saved the day-" I tuned out the rest as I gasped in shock, staring at the TV. 

Peter.

I scrambled for my phone, pressing his contact that I had collected the week before. I listened to it ring, closing my eyes tightly and taking deep breaths.

There was no answer, and I panicked.

I stood up, forgetting about my popcorn and running to the door, slipping my shoes on.

"MOM, I'LL BE BACK," I yelled, grabbing my keys and a jacket, slamming the door shut behind me. Instead of running to my car, I avoided the gridlock traffic and ran to Peter's apartment, tears threatening to form in my eyes. The whole 20 minute walk took only 10 as I sprinted the entire way there.

Once I arrived, I caught my breath as quickly as possible, knocking on the door vigorously. Suddenly, a woman answered the door, and I didn't know who she was.

"Hello? May I help you?" She asked politely, looking a little confused as to why an out-of-breath teenage girl was standing at her apartment door.

"Hi, my name- is Jo. Is Peter- around?" I gasped out, trying to be as polite as possible while still freaking out.

"Uh, yes.. he's a little tired though, he's had a long day-"

"Jo?" I saw Peter emerge from behind his aunt, and without thinking I wrapped my arms around him, sighing in relief.

"Oh, thank god," I breathed, as I heard the woman mumble something about giving us a minute.

Peter hesitated in shock, but slowly wrapped his arms around me. I held on tighter, before realizing what I was doing. I shot away from him, giving him a good shove.

"What were you thinking?! I saw the news report and- and I tried to call you but you didn't answer and I was so- Peter!" I gasped when I noticed the bruises on his arms and neck.

"I.. I thought you didn't care about me," Peter stuttered.

"I never said I didn't care.. I said I don't want to..how did you get those bruises?" I asked. I needed to know, because the mention of a certain masked hero came to mind.

"I.. I fell.." he tried to convince me, but I knew he was lying.

"God dammit, Peter! Why can't you stop hiding things from me? This tears me apart, you know?" I sighed, running my hand through my hair.

"I can't tell you, Jo. I told you that. Why can't you just leave like everyone else does?" He groaned in frustration, and I took a step back, feeling more hurt than I thought I would.

"I-.. I don't know," I mumbled, avoiding eye contact all together.

"You tell me that you want to ignore me and keep me out of your life and yet you keep showing up and then shoving me away again. Why?" He started raising his voice a little, causing my anxiety to raise.

"I-I don't know!" I called back, starting to breath heavier at the thought of why.

"I think you do. So why?" Peter's voice raised even more and I panicked.

"Because I like you!" I yelled.

Peter's eyes softened and then widened, realizing what I had said. I gasped, avoiding eye contact again.

What the hell did I just do?

"Jo-"

"I have to go," I mumbled, spinning on my heel and rushing away. I felt my breathing get heavier and my heartbeat rising rapidly, but I pushed through it and began running down the stairs.

"Jo! Please, don't run away-"

I stopped at Peter's words calling after me, and he stopped too, just 10 steps behind me.

"Pete, I-.. I can't. Please," I shook my head, not even turning around.

I booked it, running all the way home the same way I ran there, but this time with a hurting heart.

PETER YOU DINGUS TELL THE WOMAN YOU LOVVVVEEE HEEEERRRRR OMG HES SUCH A SMOL DUMMY OKAY VOTE AND COMMENT THX GUYS