1.2

Twelve: I Can't Lose You

My mind was racing with thoughts as I heard my name called in the middle of physics class, snapping me out of my trance

"What? Oh.. m=5 and b=2," I mumbled, glad I caught myself before I was embarrassed.

"That's correct. Okay, Noelle, you're next," I tuned out the rest of her words.

I haven't been able to get Peter's face out of my mind. His bruises, the disappearing and not being able to tell me why. It all made sense, but I wish it didn't.

He was out there, risking his life every day, and here I was, stuck in math class. I couldn't process that he was so selfless and pure.

The bell rang, causing me to get up and rush to my locker.

"Hey, Jo," Wendy greeted me, and I nodded at her stiffly. She furrowed her eyebrows at my actions,

"Jo, what is going on with you? You've been acting weird since yesterday. I'm worried," she whispered the last part as I slammed my locker.

"Don't worry about it," I said robotically, walking towards my next class.

"Josie, I can't just not worry. You're my best friend, I want to know what's wrong," she pressed, following me through the halls like a lost puppy.

"Wendy, drop it. I can't tell you, even if I wanted to. It's not my thing to tell, just.. let me be," I sighed, getting slightly frustrated.

"Jo-"

"Seriously, Wendy. Don't," I snapped, facing the girl with rage filling my eyes. She stopped, looking hurt and defeated.

"O-Okay," Wendy whispered, turning and rushing away. I felt myself deflate in remorse. She was only concerned, and I totally just shoved her out. But what else was I supposed to do? I couldn't exactly expose Peter.

Speaking of the devil, I caught sight of the mentioned boy, and we made eye contact down the hall. He started walking towards me and I gasped, flinging my self around the corner in the opposite direction of my class.

I heard his footsteps follow, so I sped up, not really paying attention to where I was going. Before I knew it, we were at a dead end, and I sighed in frustration.

I turned around to face Peter, who stopped a few feet behind me.

"Jo.. we need to talk," he said cautiously, his eyes begging me not to run away.

"Peter, I can't right now, I need to go to class," I shook my head, attempting to pass him, but he caught my arm.

"Josie, please," he sounded broken as he whispered the nickname that I'd never heard him use before.

"Peter," I choked back, not knowing what to say.

"Jo, do not shut me out. I'm sorry I didn't tell you, but I had to protect you. You're one of the only things I care about at this school and I couldn't let you get hurt. Please, you have to forgive me. You have to talk to me," his eyes held such emotion that I felt myself tear up just looking at him.

"What do you want me to say, Pete? You spend your time doing some pretty dangerous things, and I don't know if I can get attached to you, only to watch you kill yourself. I don't think I can lose someone else," I mumbled, knowing I was already beyond attached to the brunette boy.

"Please, Jo. I can't lose you either," he shook his head.

"Why? You could just forget about me. It wouldn't even take that much effort," I scoffed a little.

"Josephine, that is a damn lie and you know it," he grabbed my shoulder, making me shiver at his touch.

"Just let me run away. It's what I do best. Why can't you just let me go?" I asked, so desperate to know why he couldn't just let me flee.

"Because! Because I-.. well, I.. " he seemed at a loss for words as he stared at me, an unfamiliar look in his eyes.

"Goodbye, Pete," I smiled sadly, and began walking away. As I walked, I heard the familiar sound of a web shooting out, attaching itself on my waist and spinning me around, dragging me.

Before I knew what was happening, I felt Peter's lips press against mine, capturing them in a sweet kiss. I melted instantly, leaning into him and letting my hands rest on his neck. The kiss was ended by Peter as he pulled away in shock.

I stared at him, my mind racing a million miles a second, trying to comprehend what just happened. Before I could speak, Peter ran past me, his fleeting figure catching my eye.

"Peter!"

OMG IM SO SORRY I DIDNT POST FOR A FEW DAYS BUT I WAS AT A CABIN WITH FRIENDS LOL BUT BOY DONT RUN AWAY YOU JUST KISSED HER THIS IS GOOD WTF U DOING OKAY COMMENT AND VOTE THX ILY BYE