Merida

Merida felt irritated.

Her mother was afraid of letting her out, just because she's thinks that Merida might curse her with some silly witch cake again.

"Ma! I'm just goin' for a ride!” Merida whined.

Queen Elinor pursed her lips. Yes, she did go gallivanting with horses and arrows with her daughter most of the time but today she had royal business to attend to.

And somehow , Merida chose this day to go riding. Alone.

Her mother didn't like that.

"Maybe you should take your father..." Queen Elinor tapped her chin.

Merida shook her head frantically, her curly, red hair bouncing on her head.

"No, he's just gonna tell story's 'bout his leg 'gain" Merida argued.

She picking up her bow, tossed a few arrows in the quiver and then waited expectantly for her mother to make a decision.

Queen Elinor bit her lip. "Maybe the boys..."

Meridas eyes widened when her mother suggested her triplet brothers. "Ma! You can't! You have noo idea what them wee devils can do!"

Queen Elinor frowned. Her daughter had a point. She had already experienced her sons misbehavior herself. And she knew what a pain they were. Merida would murder them anyway.

Sighing in defeat she said:

"Very well. You can go,"

Merida whooped and then ran put before her mother could yank her back. She knew her mother was worried about her.

But still, she needed space. That's how the whole bear fiasco started in the first place, right? Her wanting to change her fate and gain more freedom from her mothers rules.

As she walked through the kitchen, leading to the back door, Merida grimaced. Her triplet,devil brothers were eating (and stealing) cakes that looked exactly like the one she had given her mother to change her fate.

Merida never really trusted cakes and pastry now. So she decided to take something different for lunch when she got hungry.

So, ignoring the the cakes, she quickly grabbed two apples and ran to the stables.

"Up for a ride, Angus?"  Merida asked her Clydesdale horse.

Tossing the apples in her saddlebag, she climbed on her horse. Together they galloped to Fire falls, One of Merida's favorite places.

On the way, Merida did her usual routine of shooting her arrows at the targets she had set up. She always swapped them around and put them in more difficult places but she always managed  to get a good shot anyway.

She sighed as Angus raced along and she finished shooting her targets. She was getting better and better. Too much, actually.

Now she was getting bored. She wanted a dangerous challenge. She wanted an amazing adventure. Even after the bear events that had happened a few weeks before, she longed for surprises.

When they had reached Fire falls, Merida sat down on the grass and ate her apple, giving the other one to Angus. She really felt bored now. That's odd. Usually, she was bored when she was inside the castle not out.

Maybe this isn't exciting enough anymore... Merida thought, sighing.

She absentmindedly stroked Angus as she thought. The Fire falls water was some how quiet today, as if it was asleep. Usually it was roaring downwards and splashing water everywhere. Little bugs and annoying mosquito's buzzed in the background. Birds squawked in their trees and rodents scurried through the leaves, away from them.

It was peaceful, but...

That's when she saw it.

Merida slowly got up and pulled an arrow out of her quiver, aiming and staring in intense concentration. Angus had fallen asleep so he didn't notice it.

A light. Just floating in air, somehow rising the temperature.

Not a 'will 'O the wisps', Merida thought, aiming her arrow straight at it, waiting for a t to move. It didn't.  Wisps were small and blue with body shapes, this was bigger, whiter and more of a fuzzy, glowing moon shape.

"Princess Merida of the clan, Dunbroch"

As the light as said that, Merida let go of her arrow, in an astonishing swift movement,  but it sailed right through the light. She blinked.

How am I supposed to make it go away if my arrows can't even touch it?

Merida quickly took another arrow and tried again. And again. And again.

But it was no use. It stayed floating in front of her, silent. Merida sighed. She decided to leave. There was no use and it wasn't actually hurting her anyway.

Merida turned away. Well, actually, she tried to turn, but she couldn't move. She felt stuck. Merida felt beads of sweat at the back of her neck.

What..?

"Princess Merida of the clan, Dunbroch"

The voice seemed to come from all around her but she knew the light was speaking. It seemed to be throbbing and glowing, growing bigger. Merida started to lose her temper. How dare a stupid light come and interrupt her peaceful day?

"Ya, that's me," Merida said fiercely, "What ya want?"

The light seemed to be waiting for an answer because it began to grow and glow, bigger and bigger, blinding her with light. Merida yelled out and shut her eyes. She could feel herself tiring.

No, part of Merida said stubbornly, Fight it.

But she couldn't. She felt exhausted. She wanted to drop and sleep. 

"Angus!" Merida called out weakly. She heard her horse neigh in shock but it sounded so far away..

She felt exhausted. She wanted to drop and sleep. She felt like she was floating...

Merida couldn't fight anymore.

She let her anger and consciousness slip away as her mind went blank.